Calculating Gestational Age

sejohnson

Hello All,

I am creating an outpatient log using Excel for a Labor & Delivery Unit. Is there a way to calculate a gestational age by entering the due date?

Ideally a staff member would enter the EDC (est. date of confinement), say 3/31/2012 in A2 and the EGA (est. gestational age) would generate in B2 as "38+3," "38 3/7" or "38 weeks 3 days".

Thanks in advance for any input!

Excel Facts

What is the fastest way to copy a formula?
If A2:A50000 contain data. Enter a formula in B2. Select B2. Double-click the Fill Handle and Excel will shoot the formula down to B50000.
I have taken 279 as the total day of pregnancy:
Excel 2010<table rules="all" style=";background-color: #FFFFFF;border: 1px solid;border-collapse: collapse; border-color: #BBB" cellpadding="2.5px"><colgroup><col style="background-color: #DAE7F5" width="25px"><col><col></colgroup><thead><tr style=" background-color: #DAE7F5;text-align: center;color: #161120"><th></th><th>A</th><th>B</th></tr></thead><tbody><tr><td style="color: #161120;text-align: center;">1</td><td style="text-align: right;;">31-Mar</td><td style=";">38 weeks 3 days</td></tr></tbody></table>
Sheet12

<table rules="all" style=";border: 2px solid black;border-collapse:collapse;padding: 0.4em;background-color: #FFFFFF" cellpadding="2.5px" width="85%"><tbody><tr><td style="padding:6px">Worksheet Formulas<table rules="all" style="border: 1px solid;text-align:center;background-color: #FFFFFF;border-collapse: collapse; border-color: #BBB" cellpadding="2.5px" width="100%"><thead><tr style=" background-color: #DAE7F5;color: #161120"><th width="10px">Cell</th><th style="text-align:left;padding-left:5px;">Formula</th></tr></thead><tbody><tr><th style=" background-color: #DAE7F5;color: #161120" width="10px">B1</th><td style="text-align:left">=FLOOR(279-(A1-TODAY()),7)/7&" weeks "&MOD(279-(A1-TODAY()),7)&" days"</td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr></tbody></table>

Upvote 0
Robert, that's much neater/better than the ugly way I did it. But seeing as I typed it then I thought I might as well post it (even though you would mad to use it over your method).

Excel Workbook
ABC
126/06/201131/03/2012
221/03/201238 week(s) and 3 day(s)
Sheet1

Upvote 0
Thanks for the replies!

I used your solution, Robert, and it works perfectly.

However, I do have one more query -

I've pasted the formula to an entire column to accommodate multiple future entries. However, the EGA column (B2) now reads 5895 weeks, 3 days in every cell (the result changes when I enter an EDC and gives the correct, updated EGA).

Is there a way to hide the result until the actual EDC is entered?

Thanks!

Upvote 0
The easiest way is to say (where cell A1 has your date)

If(or(A1=0,A1=""),0,Robert's formula)

That will correct for blanks and return a 0.

Upvote 0
Robert, that's much neater/better than the ugly way I did it. But seeing as I typed it then I thought I might as well post it (even though you would mad to use it over your method).

Excel Workbook
ABC
126/06/201131/03/2012
221/03/201238 week(s) and 3 day(s)
Sheet1

Hi Mark,
Every apprach counts.
That will give the same result as Susan suggestion:

=IF(ISBLANK(A1),"",FLOOR(279-(A1-TODAY()),7)/7&" weeks "&MOD(279-(A1-TODAY()),7)&" days")

Upvote 0
Hi all!

I am also needing to calculate gestational age but in a slightly different way. I've played around with these formulas but can't seem to get it to work the way I need it.

Background info:
System: Office 2011 for Mac
I'm working on a clinical trial involving pregnant women where I have to follow them at each of their prenatal appointments. Most providers track gestation using the expected due date however, for my purposes I need to track my patients by gestational age in weeks and days format (ex: 21w3d).

Currently we are using a basic list of dates of each "projected" appointment date. Each projected date is set exactly 4 weeks from the last date based on the first date they enroll in the study. I would like to be able to add a field next to each date with the what the gestational age would be based on the expected delivery date.

Hopefully I explained this well. Any help is appreciated!

Side note: Ideally I would have the projected appointment date turn red (or gray) if it fell on a weekend. Though the gestational age is more important!

-Camille

Upvote 0
Hello Camille, welcome to MrExcel

If you have expected delivery date in B1 and an appointment date A2 then try this formula

=INT((279-$B$1+A2)/7)&"w"&MOD(279-$B$1+A2,7)&"d"

Upvote 0
Works great! But I have another question: I'm doing a high risk list and need the formula to go down the column, i.e. "A" column has a list of patient names, the "B" column is Due Date, and the "C" column is estimated gestational age. How would I change the formula to work in every row, taking the data from the due date and calculating the gestational age in the row to the right, then going to the next row with a new patient and calculating their info? Thanks in advance!

Upvote 0
Like this?

A​
B​
C​
D​
1​
Name​
Due​
GA [w.d]​
2​
Elizabeth
07/15/2014​
33.0​
C2 and down: =DOLLARFR((TODAY()-B2+280)/7, 7)
3​
Barb
09/26/2014​
22.4​
4​
Cara
11/09/2014​
16.2​
5​
Dana
12/11/2014​
11.5​
6​
Ella
10/04/2014​
21.3​
7​
Fran
08/27/2014​
26.6​
8​
Gail
07/23/2014​
31.6​
9​
Hana
10/15/2014​
19.6​
10​
Iris
12/01/2014​
13.1​

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
visheshkotha

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back