Calculating Hours Worked

bootj1234

Board Regular
I need help with determining a formula that would count total hours base on not looking at the “>=” in cells B3 and B4, and not looking at “<=” in cells C3 and C4.

Please see the following image for the outcome I am trying to achieve in cells D3 and D4

Thanks for the assistance.

2lazcqc.jpg

Excel Facts

Which came first: VisiCalc or Lotus 1-2-3?
Dan Bricklin and Bob Frankston debuted VisiCalc in 1979 as a Visible Calculator. Lotus 1-2-3 debuted in the early 1980's, from Mitch Kapor.
I need help with determining a formula

In D3, this assumes B column always contains >= and C always contains <=

Code:
=IFERROR((TIMEVALUE(SUBSTITUTE(C3,"<=","",1))-TIMEVALUE(SUBSTITUTE(B3,">=","",1)))*24,"")

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This is working great! Your response uses Function combinations I have never used before.

Thanks for the quick response and lesson!

Kindest regards - John

Upvote 0
Or

=IFERROR(TIMEVALUE(REPLACE(C1,1,2,""))-TIMEVALUE(REPLACE(B1,1,2,"")),"")

Upvote 0
One more question regarding the above formulas: how would the formula need to be modified to calculate based on a first meeting a condition from another cell with the text EVM? For sake of outcome, lets say that EVM is referenced from cell F1.

Thanks

Upvote 0
Maybe

=IF(F1="EVM",TIMEVALUE(REPLACE(C1,1,2,""))-TIMEVALUE(REPLACE(B1,1,2,"")),"")

Upvote 0
How would I incorporate this code MID($Q$3,16,3) into the formula to set a conditional by which
=IFERROR((TIMEVALUE(SUBSTITUTE(C3,"<=","",1))-TIMEVALUE(SUBSTITUTE(B3,">=","",1)))*24,"")can be executed to solve for the answer?

The code MID($Q$3,16,3)is identifying EVM in a text string in order to let the rest of the formula calculate.

Thanks

Upvote 0
How would I incorporate this code MID($Q$3,16,3) into the formula to set a conditional by which
=IFERROR((TIMEVALUE(SUBSTITUTE(C3,"<=","",1))-TIMEVALUE(SUBSTITUTE(B3,">=","",1)))*24,"")can be executed to solve for the answer?

The code MID($Q$3,16,3) is identifying EVM in a text string in order to let the rest of the formula calculate.

Thanks

Upvote 0
Can't test this ATM but something like:

Code:
=IFERROR(IF(MID($Q$3,16,3)="EVM",TIMEVALUE(SUBSTITUTE(C3,"<=","",1))-TIMEVALUE(SUBSTITUTE(B3,">=","",1)))*24,"","")

Upvote 0
Thanks for the revised formula. When I apply it into my spreadsheet it doesn't calculate. The amount that it should provide in the way of a answer is 11.

If it helps, here is the text string in cell $Q$3 on my spreadsheet "EASTVIEW MALL: EVM ( 8 = Total Screens In Network )"

Thank you.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChristineC

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back