Calculating Income Surplus/(Deficit) w/ Negative Expense

Soopee Smoov

I am trying to find a formula that will handle calculating "Income Surplus/(Deficit)" regardless of Total Operating Expense calculating a positive or negative number. For example:

Projected YE Income is 5,260,162
Projected YE Expense is 6,328,910
Hard Income Surplus/(Deficit) is -1,068,748 (calculated Income - Expense)

However, Variance Budget vs Projected YE does not work under this calculation:

Variance Budget vs Projected YE Income is 49,989
Variance Budget vs Projected YE Expense is -46,444
Hard Income Surplus/(Deficit) is 96,433 (calculated Income - Expense)
This number should be 3,546 but requires a calculation of Income + Expense due to the Expense being negative.

Calculating Hard Income Surplus/(Deficit) should be able to calculate with the same formula regardless if we are talking Actual, Budget, Project, Variance. However, with the simple formula of Income - Expense I can't get there if the variance gives me a negative balance. There has to be some type of conditional format that can be entered across the board that will return the proper balance.

Help??

sheetspread

Don't you want to subtract zero if the expense is negative? Otherwise you can subtract the negative expense which will add it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LogChief

Some videos you may like

This Week's Hot Topics

• populate from drop list with multiple tables
    Hi All, i have a drop list that displays data, what i want is when i select one of those from the list to populate text from different tables on...
  • Find list of words from sheet2 in sheet1 before a comma and extract text vba
    Hi Friends, Trying to find the solution on my task. But did not find suitable one to the need. Here is my query and sample file with details...
  • Dynamic Formula entry - VBA code sought
    Hello, really hope one of you experts can help with this - i've spent hours on this and getting no-where. .I have a set of data (more rows than...
  • Listbox Header
    Have a named range called "AccidentsHeader" Within my code I have: [CODE]Private Sub CommandButton1_Click() ListBox1.RowSource =...
  • Complex Heat Map using conditional formatting
    Good day excel world. I have a concern. Below link have a list of countries that carries each country unique data. [URL...
  • Conditional formatting
    Hi good morning, hope you can help me please, I have cells P4:P54 and if this cell is equal to 1 then i want row O to say "Fully Utilised" and to...