Calculating ISO Year

DavidH56

I'm looking for a formula to calculate the ISO year of a date in Excel. I came across this formula on Ron de Bruin's page to calculate the ISO week:

=INT((B7-DATE(YEAR(B7-WEEKDAY(B7-1)+4),1,3)+WEEKDAY(DATE(YEAR(B7-WEEKDAY(B7-1)+4),1,3))+5)/7)

For 12/29/2013 the formula returns 52; I'm looking for a formula that would return "2013" for the year. For 12/30/2013 Ron's week formula returns 1; in that case the ISO year formula should return "2014".

I found this formula on Daily dose of Excel and I think it might work but I can't quite figure it out because of the html tags:

<span class="text">=YEAR(DATE(YEAR(A2-WEEKDAY(A2-1)+4),1,1)-MOD((DATE(YEAR(A2-WEEKDAY(A2-1)+4),1,1)-2),7)+<br>
         (7*IF(MOD((DATE(YEAR(A2-WEEKDAY(A2-1)+4),1,1)-2),7)>3,1,0))+7)</span>

Thanks in advance for the help!

David

Excel Facts

Square and cube roots
The =SQRT(25) is a square root. For a cube root, use =125^(1/3). For a fourth root, use =625^(1/4).
Hi David

Almost there...

Here's the formula without tags, and operation on cell A1:

=YEAR(DATE(YEAR(A1-WEEKDAY(A1-1)+4),1,1)-MOD((DATE(YEAR(A1-WEEKDAY(A1-1)+4),1,1)-2),7)+(7*IF(MOD((DATE(YEAR(A1-WEEKDAY(A1-1)+4),1,1)-2),7)>3,1,0))+7)

Upvote 0
Thanks Wigi, this is perfect...

I see that when I posted the message the Mr. Excel forum correctly translated the tags...

Thanks again!

Upvote 0
Thanks Andrew, I'm currently using Excel 2007 but will be switching soon. Nice to know that Microsoft created a solution, thanks for letting me know.

Upvote 0
Hello David,

If you only need the ISO year it's sufficient to find the Thursday of the current week and take the year of that, i.e. with date in A1 use

=YEAR(A1-WEEKDAY(A1,3)+3)

format as general

This will work with any version of excel

Upvote 0
Hello David,

If you only need the ISO year it's sufficient to find the Thursday of the current week and take the year of that, i.e. with date in A1 use

=YEAR(A1-WEEKDAY(A1,3)+3)

format as general

This will work with any version of excel

Exactly what I was looking for.
I was having some issues generating dates from the ISOWEEKNUM because I was using the actual year (YYYY part of the YYYY-MM-DD format) which is not always equal to the "ISO week-numbering year".
Thanks.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kennimack

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back