Calculating Outline Levels in Excel

quigley6

Hello,

I have set of data in excel that is organized in nested groups (using the "Data, Group and Outline, Group" step).

Does anyone have a clever way to determine the “outline Level” of this set of data? As I understand it, outline level is simply a numeric reference for how many indents there are in each row (1, 2, 3, 4, etc).

Thank you all.

Or, what about collapsing your nesting, and selecting only the visible cells for pasting formulae into? You'd use Edit/Goto/Special/Visible Cells Only.

But, I'd guess you'd want the formulae to reference only the collapsed sections, in which case it won't be any good to you.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

How can you turn a range sideways?
Copy the range. Select a blank cell. Right-click, Paste Special, then choose Transpose.
Is there a way to temporarily "hide" rows

Hi,

I have a nice column that shows the detail level (thanks to you Glenn). The detail level value in this column varies from 0 (fully outdented) to 5 (fully indented). These values are contained in column A. Is there a way to temporarily hide all values but "0", then paste the unique formula in all "0" items; hide all the values but "1", then paste the unique formula in all "1" items; hide all the values but "2", then paste the unique formula in all the "2" items; and so on through level 5.

This would work really well in my set-up.

Many thanks for all your help.

Upvote 0
Hello,

I have set of data in excel that is organized in nested groups (using the "Data, Group and Outline, Group" step).

Does anyone have a clever way to determine the “outline Level” of this set of data? As I understand it, outline level is simply a numeric reference for how many indents there are in each row (1, 2, 3, 4, etc).

Thank you all.
Altough this post is 7 years old - I found it right to suggest a simple Macro for Calculating the total of Outline Levels per sheet.
Code:
Sub Micky()
    LR = ActiveSheet.UsedRange.Rows.Count
    For R = 1 To LR
        If ActiveSheet.Rows(R).OutlineLevel > C Then C = ActiveSheet.Rows(R).OutlineLevel
    Next
    MsgBox C & " levels found."
 End Sub
Michael (Micky) Avidan
“Microsoft® Answers" - Wiki author & Forums Moderator
“Microsoft®
MVP – Excel (2009-2014)
ISRAEL

Last edited:
Upvote 0
In case anyone else comes across this post like me, I just wanted to comment that Glenn's trick still works in Excel 2013. The only thing is that even though it doesn't directly involve creating a macro, in order for it to work, Excel requires you to save in the "Macro-Enabled (.xlsm)" Excel format, or in the legacy (.xls) format. It requires this for "Excel 4.0 formulas in named spaces."

I used the outline level as a conditional format on my sheet, and it required more than 3 conditional formats, so I had to use the newer, macro-enabled format (.xlsm).

Upvote 0
Re: That was truly brilliant!

[h=2]
icon1.png
That was truly brilliant![/h]
Glenn,

That was truly brilliant! It worked like a charm in Excel. Sorry to belabor you with another question. The “Outline Level” column in MSProject will not let me paste the values calculated in Excel. I tried tricking it by creating a “Number1” Column in MSProject, pasting the values calculated in Excel, and then trying to enter a formula (Outline Level= Number1) in the “Outline Level” column (using Tools, Customize, Field). Can’t get anything to work. Still trying.

Thanks, Burt​

I just had the same issue and though I would share
Paste outline level from excel into project in the Number 1 column as you have done
press alt+F11 to open code window, add new module, add the following code and run, (It takes a little while but works great)
Code:
Public Sub updateOutlines()    
    Dim t As Task
    For Each t In Application.ActiveProject.Tasks
        t.OutlineLevel = t.Number1
    Next
End Sub

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Here's a quick and dirty way to do it:
select cell A1 of the sheet,
do menu command Insert/Name/Define, and create a name called DetailLevel, with a formula ( in the Refers To box ) of:
Code:
=GET.CELL(28,Sheet1!A1)
( alter the sheet name Sheet1 to whatever your sheet is called )
Now in any blank column of the sheet type the formula =DetailLevel and copy down.

That will give you 1 for no indent, 2 for level 2, 3 for level 3. That might be 1 out for your purposes. If so, just make the formula you type in the cells of the blank column be:
=DetailLevel-1

Hope that does it.

I know this is old, but I'm using this in Excel in Office 365 for conditional formatting for an outlined sheet. It works great, except if the outline level of a row changes the values don't automatically update. If I select the top cell and copy down the column they will then update, but they don't do so automatically.

How can I get it to automatically update or how do I force Excel to re-evaluate the cells?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marcus05

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back