Calculating Shift Differentials within Microsoft Excel - Formula Needed

TheyCallMeA7

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hey Everyone,

I really hope someone can help me. This is probably a relatively simple solution; however, I've been at this all night and my brain is fried and am having issues trying to come up with a formula.

So simply put, I've noticed a few pay discrepancies within my paycheck over the past couple of months and wanted to design a excel sheet to calculate my hours and rough expected pay - taxes being what they are.

My employer offers shift differentials which is throwing a wrench in my process. Can someone please help me come up with a formula for this.

My excel sheet is setup in 24hr format.

What I am going to need for formulas is for the following

Evening Differential -1500hrs - 2259hrs

Night Differential - 2300hrs and 0659hrs

Weekend Differential - Friday 1900hrs - Monday 0659hrs

If someone could create a formula that can detect the hours mentioned and calculate a total of hours worked, I can then take it from there.

Attached is a sample image of how I am setting up my spreadsheet.

I appreciate the assistance in advance.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    117.1 KB · Views: 39

Excel Facts

Select a hidden cell
Somehide hide payroll data in column G? Press F5. Type G1. Enter. Look in formula bar while you arrow down through G.
=IF(ISBLANK(C3);0;IF(C3>B3;C3-B3;IF(B3>C3;24-(B3-C3);"!!!")))

Try this and tell me
You're definitely onto something here.. I've managed to reorganize the worksheet out a little bit to better assist with the equations.

I've recreated the excel sheet to calculate hours being worked daily and then Talley them up in another cell weekly and then biweekly, and in another cell calculate the amount of money earned from that time.

With your sample equation above I was able to come up with the following myself, that works, only kind of...

=IF(E12>=M60,E12-M60,E12*0)

This Equation works only if the person takes their lunch before 1500hrs. And don't get me started on the night shift one.

And then further down the road it's creating mathematical issues, as for whatever reason... it's pulling as a decimal, "0.17" when I convert the decimal to time formatting it displays 4:00 which is right but doesn't work correctly adding up the paycheck within the calculator.

I swear ADHD is a blessing and a curse...

Again, I've been slamming this spreadsheet out all night.

Literally have completed everything, and more. The spreadsheet even calculates biweekly accrued PTO time based off hire date.

I just can't grasp why I can't put this idea into an equation.

Attachments

• PAY BREAK DOWN.JPG
    PAY BREAK DOWN.JPG
    52.6 KB · Views: 16
  • calculator.JPG
    calculator.JPG
    73.7 KB · Views: 15
  • DAYS.JPG
    DAYS.JPG
    81 KB · Views: 15
  • NIGHTS.JPG
    NIGHTS.JPG
    92.2 KB · Views: 13
Upvote 0
You're definitely onto something here.. I've managed to reorganize the worksheet out a little bit to better assist with the equations.

I've recreated the excel sheet to calculate hours being worked daily and then Talley them up in another cell weekly and then biweekly, and in another cell calculate the amount of money earned from that time.

With your sample equation above I was able to come up with the following myself, that works, only kind of...

This Equation works only if the person takes their lunch before 1500hrs. And don't get me started on the night shift one.

And then further down the road it's creating mathematical issues, as for whatever reason... it's pulling as a decimal, "0.17" when I convert the decimal to time formatting it displays 4:00 which is right but doesn't work correctly adding up the paycheck within the calculator.

Literally have completed everything, and more. The spreadsheet even calculates biweekly accrued PTO time based off hire date.

Resolved the decimal problem, Some of my cells were formatted wrong, was half the issue. The other half was I made a stupid mistake and forgot a key part of the equation. It's been forever since I've played around with Excel...

Current Equation I have is as follows:

=IF(E12>=M60,E12-M60,E12*0)*24

This is pulling in numerical format, however, is only calculating based off punch out time. It's not taking into account any lunch breaks that may or may not be taken after 1500hrs, nor is it setup for night shift either...

Upvote 0

I seem to have the solution in place, and it accounts for lunch times, as well as clocking out early.

=IF(D22>=M60,E22-M60-(D22-M60),(E22-M60))*24

This solution simply add how may hours were worked for a certain shift differential. From there in a separate field you can calculate the hours worked with the amount offered and get how much money you make in differential pay.

Upvote 0
So those of you that need this formula. After further trial and error I found issues with the previously posted formula. I've further perfected the formula and I believe this one is correct, It accounts for partial lunch punches as the other did not.

=IFS(AND(E23>=N72,D23<N72,C23<N72),E23-N72,AND(E23>=N72,D23>=N72,C23<N72),E23-N72-(D23-N72), AND(E23>=N72,D23>=N72,C23>=N72),E23-N72-(D23-C23))*24
I seem to have the solution in place, and it accounts for lunch times, as well as clocking out early.

=IF(D22>=M60,E22-M60-(D22-M60),(E22-M60))*24

This solution simply add how may hours were worked for a certain shift differential. From there in a separate field you can calculate the hours worked with the amount offered and get how much money you make in differential pay.
I'm not sure why it was working but the previous formula no longer worked after posting. That being said it also didn't account for things such as staying late, and showing late. So i've tweaked the code and tested it thoroughly, this one seems to have resolved any and all issues for those that need it in the future.

=IFS(AND(E12<=Q72,C12<=N72,D12<N72,B12<=N72),E12-N72,AND(E12<=Q72,C12<=N72,D12>=N72,B12<=N72),E12-N72-(D12-N72),AND(E12<=Q72,C12>=N72,D12>N72,B12<=N72),E12-N72-(D12-C12),AND(B12>=N72,C12>=N72,D12>N72,E12<=Q72),E12-B12-(D12-C12),AND(B12<=N72,C12>=N72,D12>N72,E12>Q72),Q72-N72-(D12-C12),AND(B12<=N72,C12<N72,D12>=N72,E12>Q72),Q72-N72-(D12-N72),AND(B12<=N72,C12<N72,D12<N72,E12>Q72),(Q72-N72))*24

DAYS.JPG

PAY BREAK DOWN.JPG

Now all that being said, I don't believe this formula will work with overnight shifts, it's only for employees scheduled between the times of 00:00 - 23:59hrs.

Upvote 0
Solution

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandomExceller01

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back