Calculating some time costs

halesowenmum

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi all

I'm currently tasked with working out some costs around journeys here at work. Currently no electronic journey planning/scheduling tool is used here and so the journeys made by our drivers are often very poor in terms of geographical logic and efficiency. So I'm trying to work out some costs.

Each day the driver might do between 2 and 9 calls so this is a variable figure.

My source data has been pulled together based on a day where one of the drivers did 9 calls and I have calculated: without using a geographically maximised route he spent 1 hr and 58 minutes just driving around to each call and he drove 39.9 miles. If I then maximise the journey using a web-based planner selecting a journey of the least miles possible it comes up with driving time of 46 minutes (a saving of 1 hr and 12 minutes) and miles driven of 18.67 (a saving of 21 miles).

I ultimately want to extrapolate this figure to arrive at an annual cost so that I can show that there is good reason for looking at obtaining an electronic scheduling tool a there will clearly be savings on fuel and the ability to possibly carry out one or two extra jobs a day on some days as less time will be spent sitting in the car driving hither and tither.

Since I can't say that the operative always does 9 jobs every single day, I need to find some way of calculating a cost to account for each mile driven in terms of vehicle/fuel costs and in terms of the driver's salary costs when he's sat in the vehicle driving round. I will be able to get a figure for what the van costs and a figure for the driver's salary per hour.

Since I've got variable numbers of calls each day, how can I figure out a way of getting a cost that I can apply to other days where there's only 5 calls or 2 calls but which will still make some kind of sense (albeit it won't be totally perfect but it will serviceable)??? Any ideas or inspiration for the method to follow?

Thank you everyone!

Excel Facts

How to change case of text in Excel?
Use =UPPER() for upper case, =LOWER() for lower case, and =PROPER() for proper case. PROPER won't capitalize second c in Mccartney

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
max_pedreira

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back