Calculating Standard Deviations of Percentile Groups

NMTaxGuy

I am trying to calculate the standard deviation of rows of data that are in percentiles. I have not made any special subgroups. Rather, I have used COUNTIF and AVERAGEIF by establishing the range and using a cell value as the match criteria.

This phrase worked once: IF(E6:E20022=G7, STDEV.S(D6:D20022), but I get false thereafter, even if the cell reference is updated (i.e. G8, then g9, etc.)

How do I make this work. My data sets can be hundreds of thousands of rows. I want to subdivide them into equal groups (percentiles) and calculate the count of the group, the group mean, and the group standard deviation. Got the first 2; standard deviation is a pain.

Excel Facts

Difference between two dates
Secret function! Use =DATEDIF(A2,B2,"Y")&" years"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"YM")&" months"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"MD")&" days"
I believe you can do this with array formulas, but in big sample sizes it would always crash my computer so I would do this if you can sort your Percentile Groups in E (so all of a group are next to each other) :

it seems like in Column E you already have your Percentile Group:

=stdev.s(offset($d$1,match(g7,e:e,0)-1,0,countif(e:e,g7),1))

Having to sort might mess up your G7, G8 etc groups. So I would probably put this summarization on another "dashboard" or "summary" type tab. Averageifs/countifs should work normally as before.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Column D is the values for the std dev; column E identifies the percentile. Column G is what I am using to "match" the groups, ie. if the G cell is 100, then only use the values corresponding to a percentile of 100.

This is the first of 16 partitions I have to do; the largest will have 340K rows...this one only 20K. I will play with the above; let me know if this additional information helps.

Thanks!

Upvote 0
that worked for the first cell, but not for the subsequent rows.....keep getting a div/o error....but both reference columns E and G are numbers....no rounding issues that I can find....hmmmmm

Upvote 0
that worked for the first cell, but not for the subsequent rows.....keep getting a div/o error....but both reference columns E and G are numbers....no rounding issues that I can find....hmmmmm

Which method worked for the first cell but not subsequent rows?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I adjusted the formula you provided and made it an array...and voila!! {=STDEV.S(IF($E$6:$E$20022=G6,$D$6:$D$20022))}

Once I did that, the div/0 error went away and the standard deviations were calculated.

TYVM for your help.

Upvote 0
ah I apologize, since I mentioned array formula, i didn't think to add that you need to ctrl+shift+enter. my fault!

But glad you got it working, good luck!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Armadillos

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back