Calculating stdev.s excluding a certain value

droot

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi,

I'm trying to calculate the stdev.s of a dataset that isn't 26.

This is the formula I'm using - {=STDEV.S(IF(Sheet1!V:V<>"26",Sheet1!V:V))} and it gives me 8.3
If i calculate the same data set but remove all the 26's using find and replace, i get 18.9

What am I doing wrong?

Excel Facts

Add Bullets to Range
Select range. Press Ctrl+1. On Number tab, choose Custom. Type Alt+7 then space then @ sign (using 7 on numeric keypad)
Maybe:

{=STDEVA(IF(V2:V100<>26,V2:V100))}

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
Sorry, just seen the edit. I think it worked!! Testing on other datasets to makes sure

Upvote 0
An important factor that might be overlooked: certainly the range V:V, and perhaps even the range V2:V100, will include unintended zero values in the calculation. This is because when the "value if true" range is evaluated, any empty cells are treated as zero, unlike a straight-forward STDEV(V2:V100) expression.

To demonstrate, enter 1, 2, 3 and 4 into alternating cells A1, A3, A5 and A7. Note the difference between =STDEV(A1:A7) and array-entered { =STDEV(IF(A1:A7<>26,A1:A7)) }. Now, enter zero into A2, A4 and A6. Note that STDEV(A1:A7) now returns the same result as the array-entered formula.

If you want to ignore empty cells as well as cells that equal 26, array-enter the following:

{ =IF(STDEV(IF(Sheet1!V2:V100<>"", IF(Sheet1!V2:V100<>26, Sheet1!V2:V100))) }

I cannot see any reason to use STDEVA instead of STDEV. On the contrary, STDEVA might give an unintended result in the cases that make the two functions different.

The important take-aways are: use limited ranges (V2:V100) instead of whole-column ranges (V:V); and do not put quotes around numbers ("26") that are intended to be treated as such.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Danger_SF

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back