Calculating text values with owner ID numbers

Merellia

Hi everyone,

I'm stumped on tidying up a situation and am hoping for help. This is related to a research project of mine.

My database is tracking items owned by men and women. I used to enter the gender of an owner in Column C once per unique user, and then in Column D entered the user's gender for every item in the database. (See the pic below.)

Formerly what worked:
A. To count how many men or women were in the dataset, I used this formula: =COUNTIF(Descriptions!C2:C999,"M") [Where M and F identified male and female users.] This works because, even when a person owns multiple items, I only enter M once in the C column for the first item each person owns.

B. If I want to count how many items were owned by men, I used this formula: =(COUNTIF(Descriptions!D2:D999,"M")) (This works because the D column identifies the owner's gender for every item in the dataset.)

C. If I wanted to count how many times men or women use a particular subset of items, I use this formula: =SUMPRODUCT((Descriptions!D2:D999="M")*(Descriptions!T2:AD999="SUBSET_CHARACTERISTIC")) [Subset characteristics are always text values.]​

A colleague recommended I assign owners unique identification numbers in order to cut down on my use of two separate columns for gender, and said that if I did so I could delete the C column and use just the current D column in which every item is flagged with the owner's gender.

My challenge is that I can't figure out how to change the formulas. Here's what the Descriptions worksheet, columns A-D, looks like now that I've added User IDs:

2uzcmsw.jpg

I've figured out that I can now count the total number of people by counting unique IDs using this formula:
=SUM(--(FREQUENCY(Descriptions!B2:B999,Descriptions!B2:B999)>0))

But how do I revise the formulas I identified in A., B., and C., above? (Note that all of my calculations are happening on a different worksheet than the Descriptions worksheet, which is just for entering data.)

Excel Facts

Pivot Table Drill Down
Double-click any number in a pivot table to create a new report showing all detail rows that make up that number
I just realized that my question B is irrelevant because it counts the frequency of items by gender in column D (which will remain), and doesn't require counting by frequency of unique User ID#s.

Question A is still applicable. How, using the User ID column and the D column, can I how many unique user IDs are men, and how many women?

And then the revised Question C: How, using the User ID column and the D gender column, can I count the frequency with men, or women, own a subset of items? I would be updating the following formula, so I can delete the C (owner gender) column: =SUMPRODUCT((Descriptions!C2:C999="M")*(Descriptions!T2:AD999="SUBSET_CHARACTERISTIC"))

Last edited:
Upvote 0
For Question A: I just tracked down and adapted the following formula, which SEEMS to work--except it produces a fraction, and I'm not sure why. There are no fractional people in the database. Here it is: =SUMPRODUCT((D2:D999="M")/COUNTIF(B2:B999,B2:B999&"")) -- the results indicate that there are 131.5 men.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandomExceller01

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back