Calculating Variances (Value and Percent) in Pivot (not using power pivot) - is it possible?

Brian McGhee

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I have financial data that I need to show variances against a number of dimensions. I need this in pivot so that I can use filters to create automatic views for different audiences (e.g. Divisions and Heads of Areas).

In the pivot there are roll ups, so example income as a level with sub level of a number of income types (e.g. recurring, project, etc).

I have actual data for "Month Actual", "Original Budget for the Month", "REvised Forecast for the Month". I then need calculated columns (to be in the same pivot table), that calculates values for: Actual - Budget, Actual - Forecast and then those value as a % change (so (Actual - Budget)/Budget and (Actual - Forecast)/Forecast.

I am struggling to get this to work on each level (so income and the lower levels) as well as to get the % to calculate properly.

Please advise if these is a solution for this in pivot or if only achievable in power pivot, and if so, how?

Excel Facts

How can you turn a range sideways?
Copy the range. Select a blank cell. Right-click, Paste Special, then choose Transpose.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moonlight6

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back