Calculation time on Vlookup

mrderekw24

Hello Everyone,

A team I support uses a workbook that has been stripped down to the bare bones for troubleshooting purposes and still has terrible calculation times. Here are a few examples of the calculation process times, which pegs the CPU at 100%. Now it's down to only two sheets at the moment. 400,000 rows by 13 rows on 1st sheet. 119,000 rows by 2 columns on 2nd sheet (table array). It takes 5 minutes to delete 5000 rows while trying to strip it down by the way. We have tested on about 10 different machines to this point.

Filtered on three columns.
Formula1 example =+I378531+H378531
Vlookup1 exmaple =VLOOKUP(C378530,Sheet1!A$2:B$119070,2,FALSE)

Calculation times (on a filter tick on vlookup column);
1 min. 4%
3 min. 13%
5 min. 23%
7 min. 38%
10 min. 47%

I know diagnosing with this info will not happen but can anyone help me with suggestions of speeding up this process (besides turning off auto-calc)? We are ordering beefy hardware and software that will cut this time in half as testing has proven. That's a good start. But 7 minutes for a simple filter tick or save is still not good. Multiple this by 100 filters per day and this team is just sitting around most of the time. They often just go to lunch and sometimes return and it's still calculating. They would love to get to 1 million rows (like Microsoft advertised) but can't even effectively work with 200,000 rows. I believe this team would pay for consulting if they could triple the rows and cut down the calculations by 4x. Turning off auto calculation is a band-aid and they still have to manually calculate 50 times per day. Why they need to recalculate on Vlookups that much per day is beyond me and goes way over my head. So answering questions to their methodology or workflow will be tough for me. Access and DB's will not work according to them. They need the flexibility to filter and manipulate on the fly all day long.
Thank you,
Derek

Are you freaking kidding me. I don't believe my eyes right now. Option 2 appears to calculate in 2 seconds. I still can't believe it and am thinking I must have done something wrong. I keep filtering on column M (old vlookup column) at it takes only seconds while the original is taking 15 minutes plus. after I wait for the original to calculate I check against your method and I have the same results. Let me do a bit more testing and pick myself off the floor and will update.

Issue solved. As far as my untrained eyes can tell anyway. Going from around 15 minutes per calculation x 30 times a day x 6 people for over a year, is some serious hours lost. I thank all of you for your replies and contributions.

This site works and I am a fan.

Derek

You are welcome. Thanks for providing feedback.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Which came first: VisiCalc or Lotus 1-2-3?
Dan Bricklin and Bob Frankston debuted VisiCalc in 1979 as a Visible Calculator. Lotus 1-2-3 debuted in the early 1980's, from Mitch Kapor.
Are you freaking kidding me. I don't believe my eyes right now. Option 2 appears to calculate in 2 seconds. I still can't believe it and am thinking I must have done something wrong. I keep filtering on column M (old vlookup column) at it takes only seconds while the original is taking 15 minutes plus. after I wait for the original to calculate I check against your method and I have the same results. Let me do a bit more testing and pick myself off the floor and will update.

Just for the record: The first formula should perform alike... It needs a small edit:
Rich (BB code):
=IF(VLOOKUP(C378530,Sheet1!A$2:A$119070,1,1)=C378530,
  VLOOKUP(C378530,Sheet1!A$2:B$119070,2,1),"")

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mdusw

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back