Calendar control - missing numbers and lines.

milesUK

I have been working on a workbook on which I have placed several activex controls including a calendar. The controls are on the sheet not on a form.

Everything works OK on most PC's on which I have tested but on 1 at my location and on several PC's at a remote office the calendar's grid is missing the day numbers and the horizontal lines. Also some of the controls seem to have locked up and can not be accessed nor edited. I believe that all of the PC's are running the same version of Windows XP and Excel 2000 SP-3

There are no Workbook Open type events to trigger this strange behaviour but there are events associated with controls which make Calls to other routines and set/unset the enabled property of some controls on the sheet. The PC's I have checked are running the same version of Excel which is delivered by Radia as are those in Scotland.

Has anyone come across this type of issue?

Excel Facts

VLOOKUP to Left?
Use =VLOOKUP(A2,CHOOSE({1,2},$Z$1:$Z$99,$Y$1:$Y$99),2,False) to lookup Y values to left of Z values.
*Suggestion 1
Might be worth trying unregistering and re-registering the control via Start/Run

eg. something like this but with the correct path & file name

unregsvr32 (space) (file path)/XXX.OCX
regsvr32 (space) (file path)/XXX.OCX

*Suggestion 2
Check that everyone is using the same .OCX file. Date is often a good guide, but also file size.

*Suggestion 3
OCX controls files are notorious for corruption. Replace with a known working version or download from the internet.

Upvote 0
Brian, Thank you for the helpful suggestions. However I can't try Suggestion #1 as our PC's are so locked down that I we can not access Run or the DOS prompt at all. Will have to get PC support involved but their remit is just to keep PC's/apps working and my problem (I think) is outside there box.

I have searched the local hard drive for OCX files and can find none. I can find the MSCAL.OCX on a shared network drive but this is in a folder for a VB application. I am therefore having trouble with #2 and #3.

I've done a bit of testing this morning:
  • Created a new workbook and added the calendar control.
    Linked a cell to the calendar.
    Grouped the calendar with another object.
At each stage I tested the workbook (on the troublesome PC at my office in my opening post) and the calendar was rendered and worked perfectly! However the problem workbook still fails.
This leads me to say that the problem is in the original workbook and is not a PC issue but if that is so what is the issue with this workbook that is causing a problem on some PC's and not others. All our PC's have applications delivered via a RADIA set up and are, in theory, identical. I have executed a task to 'repair' applications but this has had no noticeable effect. I'll keep testing. One thing I will try is copy everything from the troublesome workbook into a new one to see if it is a corrupted sheet.

Upvote 0
Further testing done to narrow down the problem. Clean worksheets with a calendar (v10.0) added work OK on some PC's but not on the troublesome on. Different combinations of user/PC and where the sheet/calendar is created all point the finger at the one PC.

The .OCX files are all stored on the LAN servers and everyone seems to have the same ones (size and date) available to them. Have passed it to the professionals now. More updates when I get them.

Upvote 0
Okay. Learned a bit about our 'standard' PC setup. When I searched for MSCAL.OCX looking in "Local hard Drives()" I expected it to find anything on the disc. Turns out that this only looks in "C:\Documents and Settings\"! No wonder I could not find the OCX. IS don't want us poking around in the C: drive.

IS did finally get involved and after attempting to remotely download a new OCX and register it sent someone to do it locally. All sorted now.

Brian, Looks like you were correct on at least one of your 3 points. Thank you.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mdusw

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back