Calling a Relative Sheet Referencing udf - #NAME? Error

masterkemist

Hello.

I have been pulling my hair out trying to get this to work. I only have two hairs left and they're fighting with eachother. I want to call a udf to reference the sheet before my active sheet. Their are twelve sheets (one for each month). Here is what I want to accomplish and the code I am using in VB.

I want to do this with relative sheet referencing:

=IF(Jan!G9=Feb!L9,IF(Jan!$H9="","",Jan!$H9),"")

as well as this:

=IF($K9>0,Jan!G9,"")

So, I searched, learned, and searched some more. I tried this:

=IF($K9>0,PrevSheetName()&"!G9","")

...and the code...

code:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'this will return the name of the previous sheet'
Function PrevSheetName() As String
Application.Volitile True
With Application.Caller.Parent
If .Index = 1 Then
PrevSheetName = .Parent.Worksheets(.Parent.Worksheets.Count).Name
Else
PrevSheetName = .Previous.Name
End If
End With
End Function
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I cannot seem to get aroung the #NAME? error that keeps occuring. VERY FRUSTRATING. :oops: Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am running Windows XP with Excel 2002.

Excel Facts

Copy a format multiple times
Select a formatted range. Double-click the Format Painter (left side of Home tab). You can paste formatting multiple times. Esc to stop
Two points:

1: Where have you placed the code for this UDF? I think it will need to be in a module - not on a worksheet code tab.

2: When you get it working I think you will need to use indirect(PrevSheetName()&"!G9") as prevsheetname returns a string not a range.

p.s. I didnt check the actual code of your function for errors.

OK I did now - you cant spell volatile!

Upvote 0
Thanks for the help... I did find the spelling error on my own as I was looking over it. I am a relative newby, so I hope this doesn't sound too lame, but how do I open up a module instead of a worksheet code tab?
Thanks again :p

Upvote 0
Hi there,

If you wanted to add some functionality to it, you could adapt it to the following ...

<font face=Tahoma New><SPAN style="color:#00007F">Option</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Explicit</SPAN>

<SPAN style="color:#00007F">Function</SPAN> PrevSheetName(<SPAN style="color:#00007F">Optional</SPAN> celRef <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> Range) <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">String</SPAN>
    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">With</SPAN> Application.Caller.Parent
        <SPAN style="color:#00007F">If</SPAN> celRef <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Is</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Nothing</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Then</SPAN>
            <SPAN style="color:#00007F">If</SPAN> .Index = 1 <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Then</SPAN>
            <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Else</SPAN>
                PrevSheetName = .Previous.Name
            <SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">If</SPAN>
            <SPAN style="color:#00007F">If</SPAN> celRef.Parent.Index = 1 <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Then</SPAN>
                PrevSheetName = celRef.Parent.Previous.Name
    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">With</SPAN>
<SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Function</SPAN>
</FONT>

This will allow you to put a cell reference inside of the function when you call it. That cell reference must be a range and can be from anywhere in the workbook. Note that the sheet reference must be complete. Some examples:

=PrevSheetName()
Will use the current sheet, as you have now.

=PrevSheetName(A1)
Will also use the current sheet as the Indexed.

=PrevSheetName(Sheet2!A1)
Will use Sheet2 as the Indexed sheet.

Effectively you can use this anywhere and use it specifically for target areas now. I believe this will help you if you'd like to do a Summary sheet of sorts (is the current application I foresee).

As for navigating the Visual Basic Editor (VBE) a good link can be found here: http://www.vbaexpress.com/training.htm . The first lesson is on that, it's free. Also, our featured articled, written by dcardno, "Why use Personal.xls?" An excellent into.

HTH

Upvote 0
Darn it... I am still getting that #name? error in my cell. When I opend the formula editor, the prevsheetname() function is returning volatile. I know we are close and am very appreciative. Hopefully the next guy who has this problem will be saved. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
Thanks to all that helped out. I simply had to use your tips as well as make sure the security for macros was set to medium. This forum is a God send. And I'm out!

:coffee:

(y)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mariah3

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back