Calling add-in module subroutine from sheet function tied to ActiveX button

Special K

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 2010
Platform
  1. Windows
I have an add-in file, MyAddIns.xlam, that contains a module named Module1 with a number of functions that are intended to be mapped to buttons in another spreadsheet. One example is the following:

Code:
Public Sub Test()
End Sub

Originally it was "Private Sub Test(), but that gave the same error as I will describe below. Also I changed the sub name to "Test" to avoid any possibility of collision with the name of the sheet function that is supposed to call this sub.

I have a spreadsheet, MyDashboard.xlsm, that contains a number of ActiveX buttons intended to be mapped to the functions defined in MyAddIns.xlam.

When I open MyDashboard.xlsm, I go to Developer->Add Ins, check the box for "MyAddIns", and then click OK.

On MyDashboard.xlsm, Sheet1, I have a button named "Generate Data". When I right click the button and select "View Code", I see the following code:

Code:
Private Sub GenerateData_Click()
    Call Test
End Sub

This seems like button GenerateData should call the Test subroutine from Module1 whenever I click it, yet whenever I do I receive the following error:

Code:
Compile Error:

Sub or Function not defined

Any ideas what the problem could be? I also tried prefixing the sub call with "Module1.", but then I get the following error:

Code:
Run-time error '424':

Object required

Any ideas?

Excel Facts

Links? Where??
If Excel says you have links but you can't find them, go to Formulas, Name Manager. Look for old links to dead workbooks & delete.
the ms link explains what you need to do to run addin code in VBA:
https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/F...using-xla-addin-functions-in-vba?forum=isvvba

However, after picking up one your comments from your other thread, I think you would do muchj better to develop your system without using and addin. If spearate your system into the Contoller workbook with all the code, then a master workbook containing data and data workbooks, you can avoid using an addin and still make updating cod and data very easy.

Upvote 0
the ms link explains what you need to do to run addin code in VBA:
https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/F...using-xla-addin-functions-in-vba?forum=isvvba

However, after picking up one your comments from your other thread, I think you would do muchj better to develop your system without using and addin. If spearate your system into the Contoller workbook with all the code, then a master workbook containing data and data workbooks, you can avoid using an addin and still make updating cod and data very easy.

Thanks for the link, I was able to get the add-in functions working. I will develop an alternate version without them and see which I prefer.

Also more detailed information regarding using add-in modules here (for my own future reference and anyone else who finds this thread via search):

https://www.fontstuff.com/vba/vbatut08.htm

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cancansova

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back