Calling today's date in a formula

ashish514

I need to prepare a daily report of the last day everyday next morning. In the report I have to change the date in a number of headings daily. To reduce my work I created the formulas to change the text automatically.

For Example take the heading- Total Sales on 25/2/2013 ($)

I made the formula- = "Total Sales on" & A1 & "($)" where A1 is the cell where I have to change the date daily so that all the headings are changed automatically.

But I have to write the date in text format otherwise the formula returns a numerical value and my heading looks like this: Total Sales on 41330 ($).

Now I have thought of another way wherein I don't even have to change the date daily. This could be done by using Today function either in the formula or in cell A1. So, I type ="Total Sales on" & TODAY()-1 & "($) in the formula. But again it is returning the numerical value of the date i.e. 41330 and my heading becomes "Total Sales on 41330 ($)". What will I have to do to get "Total Sales on 25/2/2013 ($)" on its place???

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Back into an answer in Excel
Use Data, What-If Analysis, Goal Seek to find the correct input cell value to reach a desired result
This should do it:

="Total Sales on " & TEXT(TODAY()-1,"d/m/yyyy") & "($)"

I added the TEXT function to your formula to convert the numerical date into text so it appears in the format you need.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
greyangel23

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back