Can an MS Access database handle many users?

IGinc

Board Regular
I am creating a dating website, being new to creating databases, I was caught up in the creation of the database that I did not take the time to ask myself, which program I should use to create the database, I read that Access cannot handle many users/visitors accessing the database, and that MySQL is the better route.

1) Is this the case?
2) Can I migrate the table I have created from access 03 to MySQL.

Thanks.

Excel Facts

Fastest way to copy a worksheet?
Hold down the Ctrl key while dragging tab for Sheet1 to the right. Excel will make a copy of the worksheet.
Re: Can an MS Access database be used to build tables and then transfered to MySQL?

thanks for the continued responses,

I have been looking into the Web 2.0 Article, I came across it, and am exploring osDate...

I'm wondering since MySQL is linux based, and I am currently having trouble finding a working version of MySQL Front or Heidi SQL where I would have a front-end rather than a command line.....

Can an access database be built and then imported into MySQL later on?

Upvote 0
Re: Can an MS Access database be used to build tables and then transfered to MySQL?

I'm wondering since MySQL is linux based, and I am currently having trouble finding a working version of MySQL Front or Heidi SQL where I would have a front-end rather than a command line.....

MySQL is NOT just linux based. It is probably the most popular SQL server on the Linux platform. mySQLcan be run on many OS platforms including Windows.

I use a GUI front end to manage mySQL databases on a Windows servers on the LAN and on emote servers Windows, Linux, Unix, etc). The key to using it with remote sites is that teh remote site must be properly configured to allow remote connections. Most web hosting provides turn this of for security reasons.

Check out mySQL's official web site.

Can an access database be built and then imported into MySQL later on?

Yes but I would not recommend it. I would start with the back en in theSQL serer of your choice. Later you can downgrade the back end to Acess is needed.

Upvote 0
Check put phpMyAdmin for a decent user interface to the mySQL environment. For that, I would definitely check out installing WAMP Server to test. It has phpMyAdmin built in and can turn an ordinary desktop into a makeshift test server.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nonnakkong

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back