can anyone get me started

Mojosue

Okay, Im pretty new to excel, understand basic spreadsheets and basic sum= functions in cells..

thing is now I need to go a step further and have no idea how to start..

basically I have a cell that is a calculation
=8*5*250

I want to have an input box show up, to amend the first number of this calculation, so I can say its 8*5*250 by typing in 8 or then have 4*5*250 by typing in 4

can anyone get me going on what I should look for in the help files (ho ho ho) or in the software...

thanks

Sue

Excel Facts

Lock one reference in a formula
Need 1 part of a formula to always point to the same range? use $ signs: $V$2:$Z$99 will always point to V2:Z99, even after copying
Hi Sue,
In any cell (other than a1), you could put in this formula
=A1*5*250 Or (=A1*1250)

Is should show a zero because A1 is blank. But now when you put 4 or 8 or whatever A1, you'll have what you want. good luck

Upvote 0
ahhh - okay, thats excellent. Now I can see how to make it work, I might just rethink how all the calculations are laid out - think I was half way there

thanks for that

Is there anyway I can extend this and make it a fancy pop up input box or something?? Ahh... make it a multiple choice box? Maybe thats pushing it too far - maybe not..

Upvote 0
Hi Sue,

Do this:

1. Click, say, cell C3 (colour it yellow and put a border around it to highlight the cell).
2. Go to Excel's Data menu and select Validation.
3. In the "Allow" drop down menu, select "List".
4. In the Source box, input "4,8" (without the apostrophes but with the comma between the 4 and the :cool:. Edit: for some reason this Board turns an "8" into this red smilie)
5. Click OK.

Pick a cell, say C5, and input this formula:

=C3*5*250 (simply put C3*1250)

Now click C3 and select your variable from the dropdown list. The formula in C5 will automatically calculate.

Note that you can increase the number of variables by going back to the Source box (item 4 above) and typing them in (separated by a comma e.g. 4,8,12,16). All of these variables will appear in your dropdown list in C3. To get back to the Source Box, click
C3, then do Data menu/Validation.

Regards,

Mike
This message was edited by Ekim on 2002-09-26 10:51

Upvote 0
YESSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It's official. I now have my boss eating out of my hands. Thank to you guys he thinks Im a genius..

Truth be told Im dead honest with him, I told him I found this place and asked people who know better than me.

Anyway, I can't do much to say thanks, but if you two are in the UK and have one of them fancy mobile phone type gadgets I can give you a free ringtone from our website...

http://www.textravaganza.com

If you can and want one just drop me a line (make sure you mention the excel file thing) and I'll sort you out.

otherwise Ill just be down here on my knees grovelling round any scraps of genius you may leave hanging about if thats okay!

PS: The really sad thing is Im really chuffed and pleased at having cracked this. My boss would have accepted half of what I did but I KNEW there was better to come.

Sue

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ava19

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back