Can anyone help please??

Status
Not open for further replies.

nancybrown

I'm still in need of some direction for my database structure, I don't think I'm being real clear with my need . . . sorry, I'll try to do better

I have two files: one 2008 Vendors; one 2009 vendors. Each file contains exact data . . . with the exception of 2009 vendors which is constantly being updated with new vendors IDs. The unique identifier is Vendor ID in both files. On a weekly basis, I will need to upload a new version of the 2009 vendor file in my database and compare it against 2008 vendor IDs and terms.

The goal is to be able to do vendor terms comparison against the previous year (2008) to show if we've updated terms for 2009. I'll need to also do queries to identify company locations, dollar spend, etc.

What is the best way to structure this database? I tried putting all data in one table, but I'm not able to do queries the way I want . . . or at least I don't know the correct way. If I do separate tables with the Vendor ID as the PK . . . I can only get results to show if there are exact matches in the Vendor ID .. . I need all records to show for 2009 to show even if there isn't any match to the 2008.

Someone help please . . . I'm getting no where fast!!!
Many thanks.

Excel Facts

Which came first: VisiCalc or Lotus 1-2-3?
Dan Bricklin and Bob Frankston debuted VisiCalc in 1979 as a Visible Calculator. Lotus 1-2-3 debuted in the early 1980's, from Mitch Kapor.
Please do not start a new thread. Simply continue on in the original post with any clarifications, follow-ups, and bumps. Per forum rules, new threads on the same subject will be locked or deleted.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marcus05

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back