Can data be moved from a string in a cell based on what color the cell is?

donnabee

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi!
There are several pieces of data I'm trying to automate or at least make easier to obtain rather than cut/paste.

On the green line, I would need what comes after Ch but not after the full stop EG: 81A Ch 047214.05805.jpg and it would to in column G for Start Chainage on that green line.
The green line Y and X coordinates to go where they belong in columns I and J with either a button or something simple?

On the red line, I would need the same string extracted for End Chainage (Column H) on the green line and also the X and Y coordinates on the End Y and End X on the green line.

I have the top line frozen so even just being able to bang a button in the row headers G H I J K L to get the data to move to the cells would be awesome.

Is what I'm hoping to achieve possible or will i have to stick to cut and paste? I'm hoping to stop the cut paste because getting the red lines pasted is extra annoying because I have to do that as plain text so the colors don't transfer onto the green line.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-02-22 093104.png
    Screenshot 2023-02-22 093104.png
    157.5 KB · Views: 12

Excel Facts

Format cells as date
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+3 to format cells as date. (Shift 3 is the # sign which sort of looks like a small calendar).
Hi donnabee,

Maybe this will get you started. I re-created a very rudimentary version of your spreadsheet and tested the code. It seems to do what you want, though you'll have to fine-tune the color index references. It should get you started at least. Good luck!

VBA Code:
Sub MoveValues()

Dim i As Integer
    Dim lastRow As Integer
    Dim lastGreenRow As Integer

lastRow = ActiveSheet.UsedRange.Rows.Count
    lastGreenRow = 0 ' Initialize last green row to 0

For i = 1 To lastRow

If Range("B" & i).Interior.ColorIndex = 4 Then ' Green color code is 4

Range("G" & i) = Left(Range("B" & i), InStr(1, Range("B" & i), ".") - 1) ' Move value to G column
            Range("I" & i) = Range("E" & i) ' Move E value to I column
            Range("J" & i) = Range("F" & i) ' Move F value to J column

lastGreenRow = i ' Update last green row to current row

ElseIf Range("B" & i).Interior.ColorIndex = 3 And lastGreenRow > 0 Then ' Red color code is 3

Range("H" & lastGreenRow) = Left(Range("B" & i), InStr(1, Range("B" & i), ".") - 1) ' Move value to H column of last green row
            Range("K" & lastGreenRow) = Range("E" & i) ' Move E value to K column of last green row
            Range("L" & lastGreenRow) = Range("F" & i) ' Move F value to L column of last green row

Else ' Ignore rows that are not colored green or red
            ' Do nothing
        End If

Next i

End Sub

Upvote 0
Solution
Oh my GOSH thank you so much, I'm going to try it out now.

If I could upload my actual one sheet Macros book I would, it has all my current formulas and everything in it.

Upvote 0
Donna, please mark your issue as solved, so it can be removed from the Unsolved list. Thanks! :)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gleisner2

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back