Can I add Chart label that is a count?

jbaich

Board Regular
Hi all, I have made a pivot chart and I would like to add a label above each bar that shows the number of records that make up that bar... I have the count in my pivot table and field list, but can't figure out if/how i can use it as a label without embedding into the chart as a series or axis variable... I'd insert an image of my chart, but can't seem to figure out how to do that :(

Thanks,

Excel Facts

Save Often
If you start asking yourself if now is a good time to save your Excel workbook, the answer is Yes
It seems to work the same as for a regular chart. Choose "Format Data Labels" and under Label Options unclick the other options and choose Value From Cells, then highlight the range in your pivot table holding the Count you want the labels to reflect. You may have to readjust if the pivot table size changes.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply macfuller, but I seem to be misunderstanding something... I've uploaded a sample workbook to dropbox if that helps... https://www.dropbox.com/s/rs9sah24sypxxeq/Chart.xlsx?dl=0

I assumed from you response that i should make a second pivot table to drive the chart labels of Count, but I haven't had any luck with that approach either... in the sample workbook, I am trying to get the count corresponding to Code and year to display at the top of each column... I don't know how I'm not getting this...

Thanks,
Joe

Upvote 0
You can either write a measure to have the count as another column in your first table (not including it in your chart as a data series) or you can use your 2nd pivot. If you use the 2nd pivot table you need to format the 2nd pivot to have the same number of rows as the first pivot table. Get rid of the year subtotals (click the down arrow next to "Code" in the row window, choose Field Settings, and set subtotals to None) and go to tabular format so the year is on the same row as the first count value.
Then you can use the instructions above to select the range in the 2nd pivot table as the data label values. It's not immediately clear from the data if you have separate counts for the North and South regions or if the counts apply to both. If region needs to be separate then in your 2nd table add the region as a column so you can add data labels to each series as appropriate.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spamiki

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back