Can I add the degree symbol to a custom format?

JenniferMurphy

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I often need to display values in degrees. Not finding a way to enter a degree symbol directly into a custom format string, I end up going over to Word, entering the symbol using Crtl+Shift+@, Space, then copying that to the custom format. Unfortunately, xl2bb does not include the custom formats in what it displays. The format is 0.0°F_) for the °F numbers and 0.0°C_) for the °C numbers.

Is there any way that I can enter that degree symbol (or any other ASCII symbol) directly into the custom format string? I believe the degree symbol is "0176" or "248".

Book1
CDE
60.0°F32.0°F212.0°F
7-17.8°C0.0°C100.0°C
Sheet1
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
C7:E7C7=CONVERT(C6,"F","C")

Excel Facts

Do you hate GETPIVOTDATA?
Prevent GETPIVOTDATA. Select inside a PivotTable. In the Analyze tab of the ribbon, open the dropown next to Options and turn it off
Hello
I think it is necessary to use the CHAR function and the code of the character °, that is CHAR (176)
(my Excel version is 2010)
Hello,
Mario

Upvote 0
Hello
I think it is necessary to use the CHAR function and the code of the character °, that is CHAR (176)
(my Excel version is 2010)
Hello,
Mario
OK, but where do I put it in the custom format? I tried replacing 0.0°F_) with 0.0char(176)F_), but that gets an error.

Upvote 0
Just to be clear, here's the current custom format that works:

1650005062292.png

But I have to paste the degree symbol from Word.

Upvote 0
Use Alt + 0176 to enter the degree symbol in the custom format.

Upvote 0
See if this helps.
Great, thanks. The Windows Character Map does what I need this time and more. But I don't know why Excel makes it so difficult when it's so easy in Word. I thought I read somewhere in the M$FT hype that the Office family would all use the same UI/UX! Ha!

Upvote 0
Use Alt + 0176 to enter the degree symbol in the custom format.
I tried that, but, if I remember correctly from my old XP system, that only works if the keyboard has a numeric keypad. That's just one of the many deficiencies of this piece of crap Surface Book. Grrrrrrrrrr...... ???

Upvote 0
I would not survive without a numeric keypad. I use Alt + a lot (e.g. Bullets, Foreign currency symbols, etc.)
Apart from being much easier to enter amounts.

Upvote 0
I would not survive without a numeric keypad. I use Alt + a lot (e.g. Bullets, Foreign currency symbols, etc.)
Apart from being much easier to enter amounts.
I completely agree. I didn't check this thing out well enough. My plan is to first get an external keyboard that I like and then use that with whatever I replace this junk with. I curse this thing nearly every day.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
harryls

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back