Can I assign a sheetname to a variable?

9tanstaafl9

How would I assign an unknown sheetname to a variable so that I can go back to the worksheet again in my macro when I don't know what the name of the sheet will be (the sheet is being added during the macro?)

I was trying to do someting like this, but I keep getting a Runtime Error 9 subscript out of range, so I assume I'm making some sort of operator error... I'm really bad with variables, so I may have missed someting obvious.

Code:
Dim MySheet As String 
MySheet = ActiveSheet.Name

Range("Snapshot3").Select 
Application.Goto Reference:="Snapshot3"
Selection.SpecialCells(xlCellTypeVisible).Copy
Worksheets("MySheet").Range("p1").PasteSpecial Paste:=xlPasteValuesAndNumberFormats, Operation:= _
        xlNone, SkipBlanks:=False, Transpose:=False
Worksheets("MySheet").Range("P1").PasteSpecial Paste:=xlPasteFormats, Operation:=xlNone, _
SkipBlanks:=False, Transpose:=False

'it craps out on the worksheets("myshet"... line

all i'm really trying to do is get back to the newly added sheet, which was added with this line of code earlier in the macro:

Code:
    Application.Goto Reference:="Snapshot1"
    Selection.SpecialCells(xlCellTypeVisible).Copy
    ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets.Add After:=ActiveSheet

Excel Facts

Can Excel fill bagel flavors?
You can teach Excel a new custom list. Type the list in cells, File, Options, Advanced, Edit Custom Lists, Import, OK
Use a worksheet variable to hold an object reference to the worksheet added, then it's easy:

Code:
Dim ws As Worksheet

Set ws = Worksheets.Add

'do other stuff:
'....

'go back to added worksheet:

ws.Range("A1").Value = "Hello"

Upvote 0
I'm sorry, and I thank you for your answer, but I'm afraid I haven't had quite enough coffee yet this morning to comprehend it. In your example, where is the worksheet name going? Is "hello" the new name of the worksheet?

In reality, I'm seriously do not want to rename the worksheet, I want to leave that what it was assigned naturally, I just want to grab the natural name, whatever it is, but be able to refer to it in my macro so that I can find the thing again and get back to it, just the one time. I'll NEVER need to get back to it again, even if the macro re-runs (since then a new sheet will be added and the name would be sheet +1...).

Upvote 0
Nevermind, I get it. The worksheet IS the variable. I'm slow. I didn't realize a worksheet could BE a variable itself. duh. sorry. Thank you. It didn't sink in before. I've never used variables for anything other than numbers or strings before. The concept didn't really sink in that I didn't need the name anymore.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EmmeEnne1979

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back