Can I automatically transfer data from an executed script in MS SQL Server to a worksheet tab on an Excel file?

helpneeded2

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I’m not very familiar with what can be accomplished with VBA coding, or with the full export capabilities of MS SQL Server, but I would like to know if the following is possible.

Currently, we have a script that we run in MS SQL Server. After executing it, we then copy the output and paste it into a tab of a worksheet. I have a separate “mastersheet” in Excel, which I use for clicking buttons to run macros that automate the many different steps which involve separate Excel sheets.

I would like to try to automate this process as much as possible, so I want to know if VBA has the capability of interacting with the data output on MS SQL Server?

From my understanding I can not use VBA to load and execute a script file in MS SQL Server. Accordingly, I would like to do the following:
  1. Open MS SQL and load the query file. (Will do this manually unless there is a VBA option to do this)
  2. Execute the query file. (Will do this manually unless there is a VBA option to do this)
  3. Copy the data in the MS SQL Server output window. (Will do this manually unless there is a VBA option to do this)
  4. Open the target Excel file.
  5. Paste the data result into an “Data Import” tab on the target Excel file.
I suspect the closest I can get to automating this process, is that I would have to manually copy the data onto the clipboard, and then from my mastersheet, run a VBA sub to past the clipboard data, and then open the target sheet and tab for pasting the clipboard data into?

I would appreciate any guidance or suggestions on how I can best automate this process.

Excel Facts

Can Excel fill bagel flavors?
You can teach Excel a new custom list. Type the list in cells, File, Options, Advanced, Edit Custom Lists, Import, OK
You can use VBA to automate some of the steps you mentioned. Specifically, you can use VBA to open the target Excel file, paste the data from the clipboard into the "Data Import" tab, and even save and close the file if needed.

To do this, you can use the Workbooks.Open method to open the target Excel file, the Range.PasteSpecial method to paste the data from the clipboard, and the Workbook.Save and Workbook.Close methods to save and close the file.

To copy the data from the MS SQL Server output window, you can use the SendKeys function in VBA to send the appropriate keystrokes to copy the data.

Here is some sample code that demonstrates how you can use these methods to automate the process:

Copy code
Sub ImportData()
'Copy data from MS SQL Server output window
SendKeys "^C", True 'Ctrl + C to copy the data

'Open the target Excel file
Workbooks.Open "C:\path\to\target.xlsx"

'Paste the data from the clipboard into the "Data Import" tab
Sheets("Data Import").Activate
Range("A1").Select
Range("A1").PasteSpecial

'Save and close the file
ActiveWorkbook.Save
ActiveWorkbook.Close
End Sub

This code assumes that the target Excel file is already open in MS SQL Server. You can modify the code to open the file in MS SQL Server if needed.

Upvote 0
After much Googling... I have found this video which I believe will allow me to do this:

Upvote 0
You can use VBA to automate some of the steps you mentioned. Specifically, you can use VBA to open the target Excel file, paste the data from the clipboard into the "Data Import" tab, and even save and close the file if needed.

To do this, you can use the Workbooks.Open method to open the target Excel file, the Range.PasteSpecial method to paste the data from the clipboard, and the Workbook.Save and Workbook.Close methods to save and close the file.

To copy the data from the MS SQL Server output window, you can use the SendKeys function in VBA to send the appropriate keystrokes to copy the data.

Here is some sample code that demonstrates how you can use these methods to automate the process:

Copy code
Sub ImportData()
'Copy data from MS SQL Server output window
SendKeys "^C", True 'Ctrl + C to copy the data

'Open the target Excel file
Workbooks.Open "C:\path\to\target.xlsx"

'Paste the data from the clipboard into the "Data Import" tab
Sheets("Data Import").Activate
Range("A1").Select
Range("A1").PasteSpecial

'Save and close the file
ActiveWorkbook.Save
ActiveWorkbook.Close
End Sub

This code assumes that the target Excel file is already open in MS SQL Server. You can modify the code to open the file in MS SQL Server if needed.
Thank you greatly for this.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Faxgirl

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back