Can I create a dropdown list using some kind of index match?

tonywatsonhelp

Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2019
  3. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi Everyone,

I'm putting together an invoice that will select a product in Cell J8, (this is simply done with a dropdown box and is all set up!)
Now K8 is the optional extras and this is where I need help

The optional extras are all different depending on what product is chosen

In sheet "Products" I have a list of all the products in Column A and in B the optional extras.
For Example A2 = "Bycicle Lamp1" and B2 = "With Brackets, Without Brackets, Small Bracket"

Now I know I can set up a data validation list by typing the list into data validation, so I was wondering if I could do an Indirect with an index match to use the data in a cell as that list?

any ideas how I can do this?

Thanks

Tony

Excel Facts

Get help while writing formula
Click the italics "fx" icon to the left of the formula bar to open the Functions Arguments dialog. Help is displayed for each argument.
Looks like you want a dependent drop with J8 as the primary drop down and K8 as the dependent drop down which will offer up a list pertinent to the J8 selection.

A very common situation, perhaps you already know of. The rub comes when the "dependent list" is all in one cell.

If you are NOT aware of the common dependent drop down scenario, and can alter the sheet "Products" data, then should be pretty easy to do.

Are you at liberty to take the one-cell list "With Brackets, Without Brackets, Small Bracket" and put it in a column below the header "Bycicle Lamp1"? (Along with all the other J8 items done similarly on sheet "Products"?)

I don't know of a way short of a complex VBA solution to do a text-to-columns and transpose process for the one-cell lists to convert them to a column list, or perhaps the use of "split" in VBA to get your lists out of one cell and into a column to be accessed as the source in the dependent drop down.

I most likely could not develop a code to do that, although there are some on the forum who could probably make short work of it. I would suggest the columns and the use of INDIRECT in the dependent drop down source window.

Howard

Upvote 0
Hello! Let's try this.

In PRODUCTS Sheet, use the formula below to create a horizontal list with extras pertinent to product selected in your validation cell J8. It’s an array formula, so after you paste it, make sure you hold down ctrl and shift while you hit Enter key. Copy it across as many columns as the maximum number of extras.
I named sheets like that, just for an example. Adapt to suit.

Code:
=IFERROR(INDEX(PRODUCTS!$A$2:$F$100,MATCH(VALIDATION_SHEET!$J$8,PRODUCTS!$A$2:$A$100,0),COLUMN(B$1)),"")

Then tap Formulas menu, then Names Manager (or Titles Manager, I’m not sure what they call it in English). Tap New. Name it Extras, or another name you like, as long as you don’t use spaces or special characters. In “Refers to”, paste formula below.
Same as above, check sheets’ names and range (it is the range you pasted formula above).

Code:
=OFFSET(PRODUCTS!$G$2,,,1,COUNTA(PRODUCTS!$G$2:$L$2)-COUNTIF(PRODUCTS!$G$2:$L$2,""))

Finally, tap cell K8 and, in the Validation Data dialog box (assuming you have selected List in the "Allow" field), in "Source" field, type:

=Extras
(or whatever name you chose in Names Manager)

I hope it will work!

Godspeed!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Turns out the macro route was not that complicated, if you want to give it a try do this.

You already have a primary drop down in sheet1 (or whatever the name is) in cell J8.
Now do a drop down in K8 > Allow > List > Source > =OFFSET(Products!$C$2,0,0,COUNTA(Products!$C:$C),1)

On sheet Products you will have your list of all the items that are in the primary J8 drop down list and the comma separated optional extras in column B.
Column C will need to be free to accept the optional extras for whatever item is selected in the primary drop down (J8 sheet1).

The code will clear the C column previous optional extras and supply a new list for the new selection. This will happen automatically when the drop down selection is made on sheet1. The K8 drop down will be cleared and cell K8 will be selected, and you will click the down arrow for a selection from the new list.

In the sheet1 module (or whatever the name is) copy and paste this code below.

Howard

Code:
Option Explicit

Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)
If Intersect(Target, Range("$J$8")) Is Nothing Or Target.Cells.Count > 1 Then Exit Sub

Dim ddFound As Range
  Dim dDwn As String
  Dim X As Variant

dDwn = Sheets("Sheet1").Range("J8")

With Sheets("Products")

.Range("C2", .Cells(.Rows.Count, .Columns.Count)).Clear

Set ddFound = Sheets("Products").UsedRange.Find(What:=dDwn, _
                                               LookIn:=xlValues, _
                                               LookAt:=xlWhole, _
                                               SearchOrder:=xlByRows, _
                                               SearchDirection:=xlNext, _
                                               MatchCase:=False)

If Not ddFound Is Nothing Then

X = Split(ddFound.Offset(, 1).Value, ",")
       Sheets("Products").Range("C2").Resize(UBound(X) - LBound(X) + 1).Value = Application.Transpose(X)

Else

MsgBox "No match found."

End If

End With

[K8].ClearContents
[K8].Select

End Sub

Upvote 0
Here is a bit more tidy code than the one in my post #4 .

Discard the previous, and use this one for in your VBA solution. NOTE: You cannot have two change_event codes in the same module, ONE only!

Howard

Code:
Option Explicit
Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)
If Intersect(Target, Range("$J$8")) Is Nothing Or Target.Cells.Count > 1 Then Exit Sub

Dim oneRng As Range, ddFound As Range
Dim dDwn As String
Dim X As Variant

dDwn = Sheets("Sheet1").Range("J8")

With Sheets("Products")

.Range("C2", .Cells(.Rows.Count, .Columns.Count)).Clear

Set ddFound = .Range("A:A").Find(What:=dDwn, _
                     LookIn:=xlValues, _
                     LookAt:=xlWhole)

If Not ddFound Is Nothing Then

X = Split(ddFound.Offset(, 1).Value, ",")
     .Range("C2").Resize(UBound(X) + 1).Value = Application.Transpose(X)

Else

MsgBox "No match found."

End If

End With

[K8].ClearContents
[K8].Select
End Sub

Upvote 0
Brilliant,
Thank you L Howard for your time and code
and Estevado for your ideas.

I think I have lots to try and play about with now so I'm sure I'll get this working.
thanks you very much for your advice :)

Tony

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
staticfluids

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back