Can I do a "L" shaped HLOOKUP or VLOOKUP?

Gianpierpiero

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello, I would need your help for the following. I am setting up a table with with a list of government bonds in two columns, "ISIN" and "Weight". These two values are taken from another table like the one below. What I would like do to is to write "EUR Government" in, say A1, get the ISIN in B1 and the weight in C1. I have various tables for other types of bonds, so EUR Government would be my input.

Having the ISIN in B1 is easy: HLOOKUP(A1;F1:I100;5;FALSE).

The problem is the weight value, which is in column H in my original table: I would need to tell my HLOOKUP to give me the value in [row 5; column 3] from the lookup value, and not only [row5]. Is there a way I can do this sort of "L" shaped HLOOKUP adding a column parameter (or a row parameter in VLOOKUP, which is the same problem?).

1672327824139.png

Excel Facts

Difference between two dates
Secret function! Use =DATEDIF(A2,B2,"Y")&" years"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"YM")&" months"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"MD")&" days"
I think you want INDEX with two MATCH functions - one for the row and one for the column.

Upvote 0
I think you want INDEX with two MATCH functions - one for the row and one for the column.
Thank you RoryA,
that was my first attempt, but I had to copy-paste "EUR Government" at the top of columns H and I, which was not so beautiful to see.. Then my two MATCH are the specific ISIN code (which I had found with HLOOKUP, as per above) and this "EUR Government".
However, it works.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shantanu2024

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back