Can I identify a specific permutation of responses to a survey and display it?

Aaragorn

I very much appreciate any and all help in accomplishing this objective as follows:

I have an online survey which has 9 list box questions. The only options for each question is "A" or "B". When the form is submitted I will have one row with some "9 column permutation" of "A's" and "B's". Each column receives the responses for one question. Column A collects answers for question 1, Column B collects answers for question 2, Column C collects answers for question 3, etc .... up to column "I". Each row is an individual respondent. From these 9 questions I generate a profile of the respondent.

I need to generate a data table of all the possible permutations of "AAAAAAAAA" (9 index values) which could be either "A" or "B" and pair them with the profile they identify in a table. Then I need to match the individual respondent's survey answers to this table and the corresponding profile that their answers align with in the table by matching the permutation in the table with theirs. Then I need to show which profile they are matched with using a simple text description of two or three words (found in the table) in column "K" of the same row as their survey answers.

I hope this description is sufficient. To recap then how this should look:

I survey 9 questions which are placed in columns "A" thru "I" one row per respondent.
Each question will be answered by only either "A" or "B".
I concatenate those 9 responses in column "J" producing some permutation of "AAAAAAAAA" (9 index values).
I match the 9 responses permutation in column "J" with the correlating permutation in the listed data table (located somewhere else in the workbook or worksheet) which identifies the profile of that individual and lastly...
I return that profile identifier from the data table in column "K' on the same row as the respondent's answers.

The row will appear like this:

A B A A A B B A B ABAAABBAB Profile Type 1

The data table will appear somewhere out of the way in the workbook or worksheet like this:

AAAAAAAAA Profile Type 1
AAAAAAAAB Profile Type 2
AAAAAAABB Profile Type 3
AAAAAABBB Profile Type "x"
(etc. etc. listing all possible permutations with their paired profile type)

This is the overview of the project. I don't know how to code it it's just a little beyond my current coding skill level. I have used macros and I have used cell formulas before and I have some coding experience but not enough. I don't know if the best approach to this is with scripts or cell formulas. I am collecting the data using a google docs spreadsheet and I don't know if that has the computing versatility to handle this or if I will have to import the responses into excel and then process the responses.

I realize this is an excel forum so I am happy to get the solution in what works in excel spreadsheets but if anyone knows if the googledocs spreadsheets can run the same code or scripts or whatever and help me eliminate any manual processing steps from this I would appreciate it. I am looking for the most "code elegant" solution you know something effective and concise.

Thanks in advance I really can't do this alone.

After comparing my output with that of the online output I am trying to match it's clear that I'm not using the same valuation system and I have no clue how they are weighting their answers and doing the tabulation. Therefore it seems I am left with little choice except to actually generate all 512 possible combinations of 9 index values and go thru them one by one.

Can you tell me how to generate these 511 permutations in a column?

ok, nevermind I just found this cool little sheet someone made that does it... I'll post the link here for anyone else that may need to do this. It just worked great for me!
jk_english

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Excel Can Read to You
Customize Quick Access Toolbar. From All Commands, add Speak Cells or Speak Cells on Enter to QAT. Select cells. Press Speak Cells.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandomExceller01

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back