Can I "loose" a column?

adambc

Office Version
  1. 2019
  2. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
I have a Description (text) column and a Value (numeric) column ...

The Description column has a Dropdown that picks up it's list from the Description column (1) of a lookup list on another Worksheet (so that users can select what they want in plain English) ...

The Value column is populated from the Dropdown selection by way of a VLOOKUP against the Value column (2) of the lookup list above ...

Hope that makes sense so far?!!!

I have too many columns and have been looking for a way to "loose" the Description column as follows ...

- when the user makes a selection from the Dropdown, instead of the VLOOKUP result populating the Value column, it "overwrites" the selection in the Description column with the corresponding value (which is a number used to effect a calculation so must be formatted as such) ...

I have found several similar "solutions" but cannot get any of them to work - as a last resort before I give up (!) does anyone have a definitive solution to this (I do NOT want to use a ComboBox for a number of reasons!)?

Many thanks ...

Excel Facts

Workdays for a market open Mon, Wed, Friday?
Yes! Use "0101011" for the weekend argument in NETWORKDAYS.INTL or WORKDAY.INTL. The 7 digits start on Monday. 1 means it is a weekend.
The only way to do it would be with a Worksheet_Change event (vba) to evaluate the lookup formula in the background and overwrite the dropdown selection.

You will not be able to do it with a formula alone.

Upvote 0
@jasonb75

That's fine, but can you help me with that please (I assume it would be a Sub on the target Worksheet ie where I want the value to display?)

Upvote 0
Sure, I would need your existing lookup formula and the worksheet range that the dropdowns are located in.

Upvote 0
Sorry, have misled myself - and therefor you!

This could have been a VLOOKUP and may need to be to do what I want to do(?), but in fact I done the following ...

In column S, I have a dropdown linked to the following list on another sheet ...

Impact
No adverse effect (1)
Minor (2)
Adverse (3)
Serious (4)
Catastrophic (5)

In column T I have the formula (for row 3) ...

=IF(S3 = "No adverse effect (1)",1,IF(S3 = "Minor (2)",2,IF(S3 = "Adverse (3)",3,IF(S3 = "Serious (4)",4,IF(S3 = "Catastrophic (5)",5,"")))))

As I've said, I want to "loose" one of the columns, but have the same dropdown from the same list, but when a selection is made, the same cell is populated with the corresponding value ie 1, 2, 3, 4 or 5?

But not sure how I can do that?

Many thanks ...

Upvote 0
I think I have this right,
VBA Code:
Option Explicit
Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)
Dim c As Range
On Error Resume Next
Application.EnableEvents = False
If Not Intersect(c, Range("S:S")) Is Nothing Then
    For Each c In Intersect(Target, Range("S:S").SpecialCells(xlCellTypeAllValidation))
        c.Value = CLng(Mid(c.Value, Len(c.Value) - 1, 1))
    Next
End If
On Error GoTo 0
Application.EnableEvents = True
End Sub

Upvote 0
Works perfectly, THANK YOU ...

PS; now need to work through the code to understand how it works!!!

Upvote 0
You're welcome :)

Some of the code is more than likely not necessary, the loop (For Each c) is only needed if you change a group of validation cells together, for example by copy and paste.

Upvote 0
@jasonb75 - feeling quite smug (I am a newbie to VBA)!

Realised it would be so much easier if I could make your routine work against a VLOOKUP rather than parsing the input - so rejigged your code as follows ...

VBA Code:
Option Explicit
Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)
Dim c As Range

On Error Resume Next
Application.EnableEvents = False
If Not Intersect(c, Range("S:S", "U:U")) Is Nothing Then
    For Each c In Intersect(Target, Range("S:S", "U:U").SpecialCells(xlCellTypeAllValidation))
        'c.value = CLng(Mid(c.value, Len(c.value) - 1, 1))
        c.value = CLng(Application.VLookup(ActiveCell.value, Sheets("Look Up Tables") _
        .Range("G2:H6"), 2, False))
    Next
End If
On Error GoTo 0
Application.EnableEvents = True
End Sub

But there's a BIG/HUGE but ... I would never have got there without your help, so THANK YOU again ...

PS; there are so many places where I can use this - users always want plain English selections, but complain when there's another column "there's too many columns!" that stores the "real" (numeric) value - and more!!!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
excelknuckles

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back