Can I make annotations in EXCEL?

joylee

Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
Dear friends,
I would like to write annotations, as shown below, while I am explaining EXCEL to my students.
Although my handwriting with a regular mouse looks ugly, I know I can manage to do it in PPT because it has the 'pen' function. But I cannot find anything like that in EXCEL. Is this because my notebook is not a touch-screen device? Can I do it if I buy a 'smart pen', 'digital pen', or 'pen mouse'? My final goal is making a video file (MP4) of my lecture. Should I buy a tablet PC? My notebook is ASUS ZEN UX330U installed with Office 365. I am very confused, and your help will be greatly appreciated. JYLee

1594924058668.png

Excel Facts

How can you turn a range sideways?
Copy the range. Select a blank cell. Right-click, Paste Special, then choose Transpose.
Hi joylee,

If you have Office 365, you should be able to add "Draw" ribbon to your Excel:

1594928042405.png

I admit it is quite difficult to use with just a mouse but I'm hoping this is a good starting point for you :) and perhaps MrExcel members will have some other ideas for you.
Good luck with your lecture!

1594928116573.png

Upvote 0
Perhaps take a snapshot or print the file so that it is in some format like PDF or JPG, and draw on the image (with your choice of tools).

Upvote 0
Hi,
Not exact what is asked but for equations you may try Ribbon – Insert – Equation – Ink Equation.
See also 'Normal text' option for non-math text on Equation tab of the Ribbon.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Perhaps take a snapshot or print the file so that it is in some format like PDF or JPG, and draw on the image (with your choice of tools).

I understand the way you suggested. Thank you. But I want to write annotations while I am running EXCEL.
JYLee

Upvote 0
Hi,
Not exact what is asked but for equations you may try Ribbon – Insert – Equation – Ink Equation.
See also 'Normal text' option for non-math text on Equation tab of the Ribbon.
Thank you. My experiment has shown that it is not what I am imaging. I wish I can write with some pen, not with my mouse.

Upvote 0
Hi joylee,

If you have Office 365, you should be able to add "Draw" ribbon to your Excel:

View attachment 18390

I admit it is quite difficult to use with just a mouse but I'm hoping this is a good starting point for you :) and perhaps MrExcel members will have some other ideas for you.
Good luck with your lecture!

View attachment 18391
Dear
Dear friends,
I would like to write annotations, as shown below, while I am explaining EXCEL to my students.
Although my handwriting with a regular mouse looks ugly, I know I can manage to do it in PPT because it has the 'pen' function. But I cannot find anything like that in EXCEL. Is this because my notebook is not a touch-screen device? Can I do it if I buy a 'smart pen', 'digital pen', or 'pen mouse'? My final goal is making a video file (MP4) of my lecture. Should I buy a tablet PC? My notebook is ASUS ZEN UX330U installed with Office 365. I am very confused, and your help will be greatly appreciated. JYLee

View attachment 18380

Dear JustynaMK,
Thank you very much for your help. However, my excel does not show the 'draw' tab to check.

View attachment 18452
Has my Office 365 been contaminated?
JYLee

Upvote 0
@joylee hmm not quite sure, but I'd suggest following Microsoft's link to check if your subscription allows you to activate "Draw" ribbon. Seems to be what you are looking for.

Also found on Microsoft support page:

Notes: This feature is only available if you have an Office 365 subscription. If you are an Office 365 subscriber, make sure you have the latest version of Office.

This feature also requires Windows 10 version 1511 or later. For help determining which version you are running, see Which Windows operating system am I running?. For information about updating, see Windows Update: FAQ.

Upvote 0
Dear JustynaMK,

After enough frustration, I have finally found that I have EXCEL 2016, not 365. Also, I found comments on 2016 that it does not have 'DRAW' function. Thank you for your kind help. I guess I have to buy a touch-screen notebook. JYLee

Upvote 0
Ahh... sorry to hear that!
I wonder if it might be cheaper for you to upgrade your Office version, instead of buying a new notebook.
Anyways, fingers crossed, hope you will find the solution soon :)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gleisner2

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back