Can I modify my excel vba drag/drop code so values are populated from a listbox to a worksheet, other listbox “shows” the values?

C4Vicious

Hi all,

I originally posted this at stack overflow. I figured I would try here as well. I am running windows 8 and excel 2010.

I have some code that drags/drops records from listbox1 to listbox2 (On a form), and then populates a worksheet from the records in listbox2. The problem is that I need listbox2 to also populate the records from the worksheet on listbox2 when the form is activated. If I set listbox2's rowsource property to the range of the worksheet, I can no longer add records to listbox2.
If possible, I would like to modify my code (already pieced from several sources and modified) to bypass the step where the record is populated on listbox2.
I.e. I want the record to be dropped from listbox1 onto listbox2 and populate on the worksheet. Listbox2 would then populate the values of the worksheet via the rowsource property.
I am a vb/vba beginner and I have searched for days for a solution to this problem I greatly appreciate any help. This will be used as a tool for scheduling maintenance work orders.
Here is a link to the file for reference and the relevant code is here:

<code style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; vertical-align: baseline; font-family: Consolas, Menlo, Monaco, 'Lucida Console', 'Liberation Mono', 'DejaVu Sans Mono', 'Bitstream Vera Sans Mono', 'Courier New', monospace, serif;">Private Sub ListBox1_MouseMove(ByVal Button As _ Integer, ByVal Shift As Integer, ByVal X As _ Single, ByVal Y As Single)Dim MyDataObject As DataObjectIf Button = 1 Then On Error Resume Next Set MyDataObject = New DataObject Dim Effect As Integer MyDataObject.SetText ListBox1.Value Effect = MyDataObject.StartDragEnd IfEnd SubPrivate Sub ListBox2_BeforeDragOver(ByVal Cancel As _MSForms.ReturnBoolean, ByVal Data As _MSForms.DataObject, ByVal X As Single, _ByVal Y As Single, ByVal DragState As Long, _ByVal Effect As MSForms.ReturnEffect, _ByVal Shift As Integer)Cancel = TrueEffect = 1End SubPrivate Sub ListBox2_BeforeDropOrPaste(ByVal _Cancel As MSForms.ReturnBoolean, _ByVal Action As Long, ByVal Data As _MSForms.DataObject, ByVal X As Single, _ByVal Y As Single, ByVal Effect As _MSForms.ReturnEffect, ByVal Shift As Integer)Dim intI As IntegerDim intJ As IntegerCancel = TrueEffect = 1Worksheets("Monday").ActivateDim I As Integer'copy items selected to new list box With ListBox2 For I = 0 To ListBox1.ListCount - 1 If ListBox1.Selected(I) = True Then .AddItem ListBox1.List(I, 0) 'Add column 1 value .List(.ListCount - 1, 1) = ListBox1.List(I, 1) 'Add column 2 value .List(.ListCount - 1, 2) = ListBox1.List(I, 2) 'Add column 3 value End If Next IEnd With'If checkbox to clear listbox on drop is checked, records in listbox one will unhilight after dropIf Worksheets("Control Panel").Range("FU1") = True Then Dim intX As Integer For intX = 0 To ListBox1.ListCount - 1 If ListBox1.Selected(intX) = True Then ListBox1.Selected(intX) = False End If NextEnd If'Copy items from the list box to the worksheetFor intI = 1 To ListBox2.ListCount For intJ = 1 To ListBox2.ColumnCount Worksheets("Monday").Cells(intI + 1, intJ) = ListBox2.List(intI - 1, intJ - 1) Next intJNext intIEnd Sub</code></pre>

Excel Facts

When they said...
When they said you are going to "Excel at life", they meant you "will be doing Excel your whole life".
When I pasted that code it didn't look like a huge block of text. Sorry...

Private Sub ListBox1_MouseMove(ByVal Button As _
Integer, ByVal Shift As Integer, ByVal X As _
Single, ByVal Y As Single)
Dim MyDataObject As DataObject
If Button = 1 Then
On Error Resume Next
Set MyDataObject = New DataObject
Dim Effect As Integer
MyDataObject.SetText ListBox1.Value
Effect = MyDataObject.StartDrag
End If
End Sub

Private Sub ListBox2_BeforeDragOver(ByVal Cancel As _
MSForms.ReturnBoolean, ByVal Data As _
MSForms.DataObject, ByVal X As Single, _
ByVal Y As Single, ByVal DragState As Long, _
ByVal Effect As MSForms.ReturnEffect, _
ByVal Shift As Integer)
Cancel = True
Effect = 1
End Sub

Private Sub ListBox2_BeforeDropOrPaste(ByVal _
Cancel As MSForms.ReturnBoolean, _
ByVal Action As Long, ByVal Data As _
MSForms.DataObject, ByVal X As Single, _
ByVal Y As Single, ByVal Effect As _
MSForms.ReturnEffect, ByVal Shift As Integer)

Dim intI As Integer
Dim intJ As Integer

Cancel = True
Effect = 1

Worksheets("Monday").Activate

Dim I As Integer

'copy items selected to new list box
With ListBox2
For I = 0 To ListBox1.ListCount - 1
If ListBox1.Selected(I) = True Then
.AddItem ListBox1.List(I, 0) 'Add column 1 value
.List(.ListCount - 1, 1) = ListBox1.List(I, 1) 'Add column 2 value
.List(.ListCount - 1, 2) = ListBox1.List(I, 2) 'Add column 3 value
End If
Next I
End With

'If checkbox to clear listbox on drop is checked, records in listbox one will unhilight after drop
If Worksheets("Control Panel").Range("FU1") = True Then
Dim intX As Integer
For intX = 0 To ListBox1.ListCount - 1
If ListBox1.Selected(intX) = True Then
ListBox1.Selected(intX) = False
End If
Next
End If

'Copy items from the list box to the worksheet
For intI = 1 To ListBox2.ListCount
For intJ = 1 To ListBox2.ColumnCount
Worksheets("Monday").Cells(intI + 1, intJ) = ListBox2.List(intI - 1, intJ - 1)
Next intJ
Next intI

End Sub

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
greyangel23

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back