Can I pass one or two values to a UDF as the first parameter?

JenniferMurphy

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Many years ago, I wrote my FmtTime UDF. Here's the function declaration statement:
VBA Code:
Public Function FmtTime(ByRef pTime As Double, _
                        Optional ByRef pDP As Long = 1, _
                        Optional ByRef pInUnits As String = "Secs", _
                        Optional ByRef pNegOK As Boolean = False _
                        ) As String

Most of the calls calculate a difference between two date-time values and pass that to FmtTime. Here's an example:
Code:
=FmtTime(Endtime-Starttime)

I just encountered a situation where one of the date-time values is missing. This means that I have to test both values in the calling cell, which results in a horribly complex expression. I'd like to modify the UDF to accept both values. That way, the UDF can check both and values and return a result if both date-times are valid or an error if either one is not.

I know the way to handle this is to change the syntax to something like this:
VBA Code:
Public Function FmtTime(ByRef pStartTime As Double, ByRef pEndTime _
                        Optional ByRef pDP As Long = 1, _
                        Optional ByRef pInUnits As String = "Secs", _
                        Optional ByRef pNegOK As Boolean = False _
                        ) As String

The problem is that this UDF is called literally hundreds of times in dozens of workbooks. Manually updating them all would be a headache. As an alternative, is there a way to pass one or two numbers as the first parameter? None of these options work:
Code:
=FmtTime(B7 C7)
=FmtTime((B7 C7))
=FmtTime((B7,C7))

Thanks

Excel Facts

Which lookup functions find a value equal or greater than the lookup value?
MATCH uses -1 to find larger value (lookup table must be sorted ZA). XLOOKUP uses 1 to find values greater and does not need to be sorted.
In a word, no. I don't see why handling it in the cell is complex - you just need to check if the COUNT of the cells is 2.

Upvote 0
Solution
In a word, no. I don't see why handling it in the cell is complex - you just need to check if the COUNT of the cells is 2.
You mean something like this?
VBA Code:
=IF(COUNT(D7, B7)=2,fmttime(D7-B7),"n/a")

That works, but it is not as clean (simple) as this:
VBA Code:
=fmttime(D7,B7)

This UDF has several other parameters such as the input units, the number of decimal points to return, and what to return if one of the dates is missing. Now I need to think about whether it is worth it to fix the UDF and then edit all of those workbooks. (sigh)

Thanks for the help.

Upvote 0
You can change ur UDF To this format "=fmttime(D7,B7)" then use Find and Replace for each workbooks for "-" and replace it with "," If not possible by Find and Replace Write one VBA to do the same.

Upvote 0
You can change ur UDF To this format "=fmttime(D7,B7)" then use Find and Replace for each workbooks for "-" and replace it with "," If not possible by Find and Replace Write one VBA to do the same.
Yes, I was planning on doing something like that. The problem is that I have almost 2,000 workbooks scattered all over my hard disk. Running a Find and Replace on each one would be a major pain in the ***.

I did find a solution. FileLocator from Mythicsoft can search inside Excel workbooks. In under 5 minutes, it found 55 workbooks with calls to this UDF.

Filelocator Pro – Mythicsoft

This is now one of my top utility programs. I use it all the time.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kennimack

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back