Can I PREVENT a user from protecting a sheet

hairyfingers

Is it possible via VBA to prevent a user from protecting a sheet?

Why would I want this?

I have a large spreadsheet that is locked down in every way with password protection at the sheet & workbook level - apart from 3 sheets that the users can do what they want with - they are unprotected.

The problem is if a user chooses to protect any of those sheets, and chooses a password that isn't the same as my password, the macro falls over trying to unprotect the user sheet.

I could use error resume next whilst trying to unprotect those sheets
I could skip over the usersheets when trying to unprotect them

but what I'd like to do is have something in the sheet itself preventing it in the first place

possible?

Excel Facts

Why does 9 mean SUM in SUBTOTAL?
It is because Sum is the 9th alphabetically in Average, Count, CountA, Max, Min, Product, StDev.S, StDev.P, Sum, VAR.S, VAR.P.
It can be done but I'm not sure in what event to put the code.
I suggest in 2 event, i.e:
“Private Sub Workbook_SheetDeactivate” : if user protect one of those sheets and then move focus to another sheet then this will force the focus back to the sheet.
“Private Sub Workbook_BeforeSave” : if user protect one of those sheets then the code will prevent the user to save the workbook.

Put the sheet’s names that must not be protected in this array, change the sheet's name to suit in this line (in both subs):
Array("sheet1", "sheet2", "sheet3")

Code:
[FONT=lucida console][COLOR=Royalblue]Private[/COLOR] [COLOR=Royalblue]Sub[/COLOR] Workbook_BeforeSave([COLOR=Royalblue]ByVal[/COLOR] SaveAsUI [COLOR=Royalblue]As[/COLOR] [COLOR=Royalblue]Boolean[/COLOR], Cancel [COLOR=Royalblue]As[/COLOR] [COLOR=Royalblue]Boolean[/COLOR])
[COLOR=Royalblue]Dim[/COLOR] z [COLOR=Royalblue]As[/COLOR] [COLOR=Royalblue]Variant[/COLOR], ws [COLOR=Royalblue]As[/COLOR] Worksheet

[COLOR=Royalblue]For[/COLOR] [COLOR=Royalblue]Each[/COLOR] ws [COLOR=Royalblue]In[/COLOR] ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets
            [COLOR=Royalblue]For[/COLOR] [COLOR=Royalblue]Each[/COLOR] z [COLOR=Royalblue]In[/COLOR] Array([COLOR=brown]"sheet1"[/COLOR], [COLOR=brown]"sheet2"[/COLOR], [COLOR=brown]"sheet3"[/COLOR])
                [COLOR=Royalblue]If[/COLOR] UCase(ws.Name) = UCase(z) [COLOR=Royalblue]And[/COLOR] ws.ProtectContents [COLOR=Royalblue]Then[/COLOR]
                        MsgBox [COLOR=brown]"You can't protect sheet "[/COLOR] & ws.Name
                        Cancel = [COLOR=Royalblue]True[/COLOR]
                [COLOR=Royalblue]End[/COLOR] [COLOR=Royalblue]If[/COLOR]
            [COLOR=Royalblue]Next[/COLOR]

[COLOR=Royalblue]End[/COLOR] [COLOR=Royalblue]Sub[/COLOR]

[COLOR=Royalblue]Private[/COLOR] [COLOR=Royalblue]Sub[/COLOR] Workbook_SheetDeactivate([COLOR=Royalblue]ByVal[/COLOR] Sh [COLOR=Royalblue]As[/COLOR] [COLOR=Royalblue]Object[/COLOR])
[COLOR=Royalblue]Dim[/COLOR] z [COLOR=Royalblue]As[/COLOR] [COLOR=Royalblue]Variant[/COLOR], ws [COLOR=Royalblue]As[/COLOR] Worksheet

[COLOR=Royalblue]For[/COLOR] [COLOR=Royalblue]Each[/COLOR] ws [COLOR=Royalblue]In[/COLOR] ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets
            [COLOR=Royalblue]For[/COLOR] [COLOR=Royalblue]Each[/COLOR] z [COLOR=Royalblue]In[/COLOR] Array([COLOR=brown]"sheet1"[/COLOR], [COLOR=brown]"sheet2"[/COLOR], [COLOR=brown]"sheet3"[/COLOR])
                [COLOR=Royalblue]If[/COLOR] UCase(ws.Name) = UCase(z) [COLOR=Royalblue]And[/COLOR] ws.ProtectContents [COLOR=Royalblue]Then[/COLOR]
                MsgBox [COLOR=brown]"You can't protect sheet "[/COLOR] & ws.Name
                ws.Activate
                [COLOR=Royalblue]End[/COLOR] [COLOR=Royalblue]If[/COLOR]

[COLOR=Royalblue]End[/COLOR] [COLOR=Royalblue]Sub[/COLOR]
[/FONT]

Upvote 0
My 2 cents ....

I believe you will need to use XML Markup Language which allows you to create new or edit existing menu items. There are plenty of websites that describe and teach
XML.

Another consideration would be to completely hide the menu bar from the user when they go to the sheet in question. When they leave that sheet, you can unhide the menu
bar.

Upvote 0
If you don't mind using an API timer, I think I could write some small code retrieve the entered password and unprotect the worksheet as soon as the sheet is protected.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
albertocarrillom

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back