Can I used a nested IF function here?

vinvinvin123

Hello!

Here is my formula..

=IF($A$2>DATE(2017,MONTH(L$3&"/1")+1,1),0,($D78-L76+L77))

A2 = today's date
Column D = stock
L76 = monthly forecast
L77 = deliveries due in month
L78 contains the above formula & as is referred to as the 'availability'
So basically if the month is in the past the availability figure can be 0 but if it is in the future then (stock - forecast + deliveries) = availability

This falls down & I get negative availability if there is a delivery due in the previous month but the stock figure is still 0 as it hasn't arrived yet.

For example:

August: stock= 0, forecast = 0, deliveries= 30,000 therefore availability = 30,000.
September: stock=0 (still 0 as this is the present day figure, the delivery is in the future), forecast = 5,000, deliveries =0. Using my current formula I get availability = -5,000 but it should be 25,000

So I need a formula that says:

(stock - forecast + deliveries) = availability BUT if the previous month Availability > 0 THEN (previous months availability - forecast + deliveries) = availability

Sorry if that makes no sense.. please post questions & I will try to clarify if so.

I am still trying to get the hang of explaining exactly what I am trying to do!

Excel Facts

Convert text numbers to real numbers
Select a column containing text numbers. Press Alt+D E F to quickly convert text to numbers. Faster than "Convert to Number"
@vinvinvin123, the simple answer to your question is "Yes, you can use a nested IF."

In general terms:

=IF($A$2>DATE(2017,MONTH(L$3&"/1")+1,1),0,(IF(previous month's total > 0, previous month's total, stock) -L76+L77))

In order to go much beyond that, even with all you posted, you'd really have to post actual sample data. Remember: you know what you're looking at, but we don't. And if it's that hard to explain it when you get to look at it ... imagine how it is from "out here" where we can't see the sheet. ;)

For instance, when you refer to "the previous month," while I may understand you in concept, I have no idea what the setup of your sheet is, where the information for the previous month (or present month, or any month) resides in your sheet, what's in L3, etc.

If my tip above doesn't get you where you need to go with it, post some data, including column letters and row numbers, and I'm confident I or someone else here can help you.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi Erik,

Thanks for your response.

I used your advice & the correct formula was:

=IF($A$2>DATE(2017,MONTH(L$3&"/1")+1,1),0,(IF(K78>0,(K78-L76+L77),($D78-L76+L77))))

Thanks for your advice !

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
staticfluids

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back