Can multiple cells containing both calculated and non-calculated data be added to a single cell for export without calculation in the final cell,

johnamberhawker

Can multiple cells containing both calculated and non-calculated data be added to a single cell for export without calculation in the final cell,
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
I may well be asking a terribly simple question here, but I cannot solve it myself. It concerns writing universal simple programmes in excel to make simple items on a milling machine. For example a spoked wheel as seen on a steam engine, where one wishes to cut a series of circular arcs, some complete and some interrupted and a series of radii. The idea is to decide on a size of wheel add the overall dimensions to the appropriate cells and allow excel to produce all the lines of G code,which tell the cutter where to go.
<o:p></o:p>
To create G code for a computer controlled milling machine a G code is given first followed by 2 to 4 coordinates values (normally cartesian, but can be polar) (X,Y,Z and possibly a rotation A,B or C)
The G (G1 straight line, G2 clockwise arc etc) component will indicate a straight line or circle or whatever and the cutter will move from it’s present point to the new coordinates following the G code. If the spinning cutter is at X0 Y0 and the machine is given the code G1 X5Y5 it will cut an oblique line to X5Y5 if it then given the command G1 X10Y10 Z10 it will create another oblique line, this time with some vertical height (3D)
For example if the X position increases by 0.5mm and the Y by 0.75mm per row, this is easy for excel (starting at X0 Y0). However for the simple export the final cell needs to read (G1 X0.5 Y 0.75) and the next cell (G1 X1.0 Y1.50) etc for export to the programme. It is this last cell, which I cannot get to behave. GI would have come from column A, X0.5 form column B and Y0.75 from column C.
For interest the programme to do the cutting or drawing or welding etc comes from the Mach 3 site and is available free of charge.

Excel Facts

Ambidextrous Undo
Undo last command with Ctrl+Z or Alt+Backspace. If you use the Undo icon in the QAT, open the drop-down arrow to undo up to 100 steps.
johnamberhawker

Welcome to the MrExcel board!

Reading your post, I've learned a little about computer controlled milling machines and G code, but not much about what you really want help with within Excel. :)

Can you give some specific sample data and explain just what you want done with it, including providing the final result(s) and how same is arrived at?

Upvote 0
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
I may well be asking a terribly simple question here, but I cannot solve it myself. It concerns writing universal simple programmes in excel to make simple items on a milling machine. For example a spoked wheel as seen on a steam engine, where one wishes to cut a series of circular arcs, some complete and some interrupted and a series of radii. The idea is to decide on a size of wheel add the overall dimensions to the appropriate cells and allow excel to produce all the lines of G code,which tell the cutter where to go.
To create G code for a computer controlled milling machine a G code is given first followed by 2 to 4 coordinates values (normally cartesian, but can be polar) (X,Y,Z and possibly a rotation A,B or C)
The G (G1 straight line, G2 clockwise arc etc) component will indicate a straight line or circle or whatever and the cutter will move from it’s present point to the new coordinates following the G code. If the spinning cutter is at X0 Y0 and the machine is given the code G1 X5Y5 it will cut an oblique line to X5Y5 if it then given the command G1 X10Y10 Z10 it will create another oblique line, this time with some vertical height (3D)
For example if the X position increases by 0.5mm and the Y by 0.75mm per row, this is easy for excel (starting at X0 Y0). However for the simple export the final cell needs to read (G1 X0.5 Y 0.75) and the next cell (G1 X1.0 Y1.50) etc for export to the programme. It is this last cell, which I cannot get to behave. GI would have come from column A, X0.5 form column B and Y0.75 from column C.
For interest the programme to do the cutting or drawing or welding etc comes from the Mach 3 site and is available free of charge.

I assume the Y 0.75 is a typo

if the 1 in G1 is in A2, the 0.5 in X0.5 in B2, and the ).75 in Y0.75 is in C2

you can get G1 X0 Y0.75 in D2 with
Code:
="G"&a2&" X"&text(B2,"0.00')&" Y"&text(C2,"0.00")&")"
if you need the () around them
Code:
="(G"&A2a2&" X"&text(B2,"0.00')&" Y"&text(C2,"0.00")&")"
by entering
1,1,1.5 in A3,B3,c3 respctively
and copying the formula in D2 and pasting it in D3
you will end up with
(G1 X1.0 Y1.50)

Upvote 0
To WS Jackman

Very many thanks.

I copied the line of code, which did not work. Then I recreated it and it worked beautifully, I did not need the terminal bracket. I used both absolute and relative cells and managed to export them onto the notepad. I will now be able to write basic programmes for making simple components of varying sizes.
Many thanks
Regards

John

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shantanu2024

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back