Can not get old Access file into Excel 2013

MikeH2

Problem: Can not get Access .mdb file into Excel 2013

Background: I’ve got an application that stores it’s data in .mdb format. I was able to import that file into Excel 2007 – but cannot get it into Excel 2013. When I try, I get the message: “Cannot open a dabase created with a previous version of your application”.
Now it happens that I do have Access 2007 – so I tried to convert it from .mdb to .accdb format
– but was unsuccessful in doing that too. It said it had converted the file.
But I couldn’t find any file with the .accdb file extension anywhere on my computer. I went back and tried the .mdb file again – with no success.

Any ideas?

Thanks

MikeH2

Excel Facts

What is the fastest way to copy a formula?
If A2:A50000 contain data. Enter a formula in B2. Select B2. Double-click the Fill Handle and Excel will shoot the formula down to B50000.
Did you try creating a new Access 07 DB and import all the objects, macros, code etc. and see if that changes anything? You could also try to create an older version of excel (.xls")?

Upvote 0
The best advice for your situation is to import all objects. I was using Access 2003 to 2007. It had no end of problems until I did that.
Every so often, it doesn't hurt to do it to an existing working copy. Especially if anything seems a little touchy.

Basically, get an original copy of the previous Access DB that has not been attempted to be open with a newer version.
Open a blank Access copy of the newer version
From the newer version, go to Import Objects. Go through all the tabs and import all objects including macros.
Once it is imported, go back to the DB Options and match the old DB version's Options.

Even if this is the same version of Access, this will improve the DB.
The Repair and Compact does little of either. Using the steps described above, I have salvaged broken databases.
It also compresses differently when the import objects are used.
It has also repaired corrupted controls on several occasions.

Just a note on Office 2013. Make sure the Service Packs are installed. There are pages of known issues for the original version.

Upvote 0
First - thanks for your help. After trying your suggestions - I found out that the problem was that the old Access data file was read protected. After that, I was able to get the file into Access 2007 - but was not able to "Save as" in .accdb format. When I exited out of Access 2007 and tried to get it into Excel 2013 - I no longer got the "Cannot open a dabase created with a previous version of your application” message. Instead I get a "Data Link Properties" Dialog box that asks for information to log onto a server. When I hit the "Test Connection" button, I get the message "Test connection failed because of an error in initializing provider. Cannot open a database created with a previous version of your application". So I'm back to where I started.

On the bright side, I have figured out a Rube Goldberg work around - I go into access 2007, open the file open the table that I want and then export it into an Excell file that I can open with Excell 2013. I would, howver, relly like to be able to get it to work directly as opposed to this roundabout route. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Mike H2

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
camelliaCase

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back