Can number of columns/rows in worksheet be reduced from 256/65536 in Excel 2000?

PinpointJimbo

Was wondering if there was any way to have a worksheet smaller than 256x65536 cells in Excel 2000 - ?

Impetus for this is using a background image, which causes the file size to balloon when it tiles infinitely across & down the sheet. Hiding cells has no effect and there seems to be no way to tell Excel to only insert the background image once.

Cheers

Excel Facts

Select all contiguous cells
Pressing Ctrl+* (asterisk) will select the "current region" - all contiguous cells in all directions.
No it's just to keep the file size to a minimum when using a background image
(Format|Sheet|Background)
My file is about 750kb without background images on sheets, but is closer to 20Mb when background images are used (and tiled) on each sheet. Was hoping there was a way to avoid making the file so overweight.

Upvote 0
Is this not more to do with the image you are using rather than the size of a sheet.

I'm using Excel 2007, I applied a small jpg as a background and got a small file size (24.4kb) I then applied a poster quality image and the file became 28.7Mb.

Only a thought

Regards

Dave

Upvote 0
Actually that is right on the money.
My image is essentially a gradient gif, blending from blue into white, down the sheet. At 1024x768 pixels, the image adds over 19Mb to the Excel file size, while the same gif, trimmed to a bare minimum width, causes the file to increase only by 160kb. Great idea. Thanks!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marion_davis

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back