Can the Excel web browser post data to a web page?

miconian

Here's a tedious task I have to complete regularly. There is an Excel worksheet with a long column of numbers. There is a website with a bunch of form fields (lined up vertically, but not connected). I have to copy the data from the cells on the worksheet to the fields on the website, one at time.

My understanding is that the Excel web browser is usually used to do the opposite... moving data from the web to the worksheet. But is there some way to do it the other way around?

There are some indicators of which data goes where (line numbers). Although I would prefer a way to automate this process, even a way to just paste one column in one fell swoop would be great too.

Thanks!

Excel Facts

Waterfall charts in Excel?
Office 365 customers have access to Waterfall charts since late 2016. They were added to Excel 2019.
Yes, this can be done with IE automation and DOM manipulation with the HTML Object Library. Example here - http://www.excely.com/excel-vba/ie-automation.shtml, plus many more examples on this forum.

Without knowing the URL and exactly which sheet and cells contain the data you want to post to the web page it's difficult to give you specific help.

Upvote 0
Thanks, I'm checking that site out now. I admit to having essentially no experience with IE automation, and very little familiarity with the DOM, so this could take a while.

The website is part of a customized, proprietary system that I can't show you. But the basic setup is this:

The Excel file has a column with line numbers. Then, to the right, it has a column with data.

The web page has (along with lots of other stuff) a table with a series of records. Each record has a line number in the far left column, and (only if needed) an empty field in the far right column.

So, ideally, the mechanism would find the line number in Excel, then find it again on the web page, then search to the right for an empty field in which to enter the corresponding data.

I expect that this sort of thing probably involves a lot of trial and error. I guess I need to start learning about the DOM...

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
excelquestion515

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back