Can this formula be made more efficient?

GiventoFly

I have a Spreadsheet/Dashboard that I created to look at sales trends YoY. I have created so many cells with formulas that now the spreadsheet takes forever to process between any changes.

I essentially have 3 or 4 drop down boxes where I can select Region, Metric, Segments.

What I'd like to know is if the following formulas could be written in a way that could cut down on the process time between each change. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

i.e. could I use Subtotals in any way?

=(B11-SUMIFS(INDIRECT($B$2),Division_Name__Code_and_Number,$B$4,Pyramid_Segment_Desc.,$B$3,PIM_Super_Class_Description__Current,$A10,Calendar_Year_Week,">="&$F$3,Calendar_Year_Week,"<="&$G$3)/52)/(SUMIFS(INDIRECT($B$2),Division_Name__Code_and_Number,$B$4,Pyramid_Segment_Desc.,$B$3,PIM_Super_Class_Description__Current,$A10,Calendar_Year_Week,">="&$F$3,Calendar_Year_Week,"<="&$G$3)/52)

=SUMIFS(QtyShipped,Division_Name__Code_and_Number,$B$2,Pyramid_Segment_Desc.,$B$3,PIM_Super_Class_Description__Current,$B$4,Calendar_Year_Week,">="&$D$3,Calendar_Year_Week,"<="&$E$3)/52

Excel Facts

Format cells as currency
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+4 to format cells as currency. (Shift 4 is the $ sign).
Welcome to MrExcel!

My guess is that INDIRECT is the culprit. It is a volatile function, i.e., it will recalculate after any change to the spreadsheet, causing the whole formula recalculate, and its dependents, and so on. Can you tell me what a typical value of $B$2 is?

Otherwise there might be some speed-up possibilities that rely on the design of the whole spreadsheet, how the data is organized, etc.

J.Ty.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thank you J.Ty.

$B$2 references 9 different named metrics in a drop down menu. For Example, if I choose "Sales" in B2, it references that for the SUMIFS and sums only Sales information. I hope that makes sense.

Upvote 0
Not knowing how your spreadsheet is designed, it's hard to recommend a solution but INDIRECT should be avoided at all costs in real world applications.

It's often better to organize your data like a database table is laid out. So instead of different named ranges, you have one column that specifies the category, whether it's Sales/COGS/PP&E/etc. Then all you have to do is add another condition to your sumifs that compares that column to your dropdown. Or you could make each category (e.g. Sales) a separate column, or measure, on that table and then use index function to pass your sumif a dynamic range.

Upvote 0
Can you post here a small sample of your data? I mean the complete design, all columns, etc., but we need only a few rows of the real data, just to see their shape. However, we want the information how many rows you have in each table.

Section B of http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/board-announcements/127080-guidelines-forum-use.html lists a number of tools which can be used to generate the screenshot of your spreadsheet.

J.Ty.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nzskater

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back