Can VBA run in background?

z329

Is there a way have a macro working on one worksheet (in the background) while I am manually working on another?

Excel Facts

Return population for a City
If you have a list of cities in A2:A100, use Data, Geography. Then =A2.Population and copy down.
Welcome to the Board!

Generally no. A VBA procedure will take focus until it's complete, with the exception of displaying a modeless user form, input box, or some other method of queuing user interaction. But those are all initiated by a VBA procedure, and it will continue once they're answered/dismissed.

Whatcha' trying to do?

Upvote 0
Welcome to the Board!

You can open the 2 files in separate instances of Excel. There are a couple ways of doing this, but this is the easiest IMO if you don't understand what separate instances is:

Open the first file and then go to Start-->Run or press Windows Key + R. Then type in Excel.exe and click ok. Now this will open another instance and open the 2nd file from this instance. Then you can runt he macro in the first instance and run another macro or work on the workbook in this instance. You can do this with as many instances as your computer memory will allow you to do.

Hope that helps.

Upvote 0
Thanks Smitty....Basically, I have large amounts of data that I crunch and rather than doing it manually, I have automated most of it. Some of the find/replace/delete functions take up to a half hour and I had hoped that I could do other work on Excel while the macro was running.

Upvote 0
If you post your code we may be able to streamline it a bit. Otherwise I'd go with the second instance recommendation.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cybersurfer5000

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back