can VLOOKUP return multiple rows in dynamic array?

Windyisle

Greetings,

I've got my massive project almost up and running (thanks in large part to the awesome help I've received here).

One more hurdle to clear:

I've got a master report, from which I'm looking up multiple lines from the database and dropping them into a finalized sheet. The records that I'm working with are 90% of the time in one row (ie #1543 data data data data). But I've got about 200 results that need to be displayed in multiple rows like this:

#1452 data data data data
.........data data data data
.........data data data data

I've tried entering this information into several rows with the same header:

but VLOOKUP only returns the first row with that value.
Is there any way I can do something like:

#1452a data data data data
#1452b data data data data
#1452c data data data data

But have VLOOKUP still searching for #1452?

The complication is that its already in the middle of a bunch of calculations and data movement that is all automated at this point. I have formulas that pull out the #1452 from the report, then look up the record, then paste it in a 'calculation sheet' which corresponds to each row in the report (but only returns values that meet the conditions I've set up) - after which it gathers all the relevant entries from the calculation sheet and pastes them in a dynamic array in the final report.

The only other option is going into the database and entering the data in the SAME ROW using Alt+Enter to create soft carriage returns. This works, and would solve my problem, but I just want to make sure I'm not missing an easier (and cleaner) solution before I go ahead and start cramming multiple lines of data into the same cell (which makes me sad).

Thanks

Some videos you may like

Excel Facts

Can a formula spear through sheets?
Use =SUM(January:December!E7) to sum E7 on all of the sheets from January through December

Watch MrExcel Video

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BorisYeltsin

This Week's Hot Topics