Can we share a technique on "Excel Question" forum?

Akuini

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I posted a thread Link, sharing a code to create dependent data validation.
And then @Joe4 have moved it to the "General Discussion & Other Applications" forum:
Akuini,

Thanks for sharing this. I have moved it to the "General Discussion & Other Applications" forum, as it is really not an "Excel Question", and it will also get buried really fast in that forum, with the number of questions that get asked. But it might be even better served if you post it to the "Excel Articles" forum, which is probably the appropriate place to post something like this.

but I also see some threads that just share a technique on Excel Question forum, for example:
printing-the-msgbox

I'm not complaining, I just want to know what the rules are.
I plan to post another thread to share another macro. If allowed, I'd rather post it on the "Excel Questions" forum than the "General Discussions & Other Applications" or "Excel Articles" forums.

Regards,
Akuini

@Akuini - thanks for sharing your ideas on the board.

However, if you'd like to share a technique or code, you can take a look at the Excel Articles section on the forum that @Joe4 also mentioned.

We created this section exactly for this purpose. Please take a look and let me know if you have any questions or problems creating an article.

Apparently, we didn't catch the other thread that you referred to as it should be also not posted in the Excel Questions forum since it is not a question as Joe explained. We can't convert those threads to an Excel article, therefore we move those to the General Discussion forum.

@smozgur
I just created an Excel add-in called “Search deList”. Its function is to speed up searching in data validation list. I plan to share this add-in via Excel Article section, and I’ll share it as a freeware. But there are couple of things:
  1. Before I’ll post it in Excel Article section, I need feedback from Forum member to find any bugs or to suggest some ideas to improve its functionality. So, can I post it in Excel Question section to ask help on this?
  2. The add-in will be protected by a password. If anyone needs the password, I’ll share it via PM. Is it allowed to share the password via PM?

As explained before, if you have an Excel question then you can ask it in the Questions forum.

About sharing an add-in - you can't upload files on the forum. Also, an Excel Article is supposed to contain functions, code snippets, entire code, or methods explained in plain language. Therefore, I am sure your password-protected add-in won't pass the moderation if it will only point to an external link that other members can download the file. Even it does, most Internet users wouldn't download a third-party file due to obvious threats, especially containing a protected code. See the last paragraph of Message Board Rules | Rule 4 about shared files.

Finally, the Excel Articles section is an area where we share ideas, and it is not only open to registered members but public, just like the other question forums on MrExcel Message Board. Therefore, an article containing a link to a password-protected file won't be allowed even you provide the password in the article.

@smozgur
Thanks again for the explanation.
So, I'll post it only in Excel Question section, asking for help to test the add-in, without password protecting the code.

@smozgur
Thanks again for the explanation.
So, I'll post it only in Excel Question section, asking for help to test the add-in, without password protecting the code.
@Akuini,

If you have an Excel question that you need help with to solve a problem in your add-in, then you can ask it in the Excel Questions forum.
If you don’t have an Excel question about your add-in but only ask members to test it, then it won't be an Excel question and most likely be reported and moved.

However, the General Discussion & Other Applications is the forum where you can post such a discussion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
visheshkotha

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back