Can you add messages to excel before the document is open?

tonywatsonhelp

Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2019
  3. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi everyone,
I've never come across this so doubt if its possible but was wondering as excel can do so much.
I have a few documents that hold my raw data,
I then have a master document that is supposed to be used and basically the other documents are not supposed to be opened.
I have to save them in a folder on the server so the master doc can assess them,
I have tried putting them in a folder call Private, And ever "Private Authorised personnel Only!" but nothing seams to stop our wonderful staff from thinking they know better and opening these files,
I've put a password on them and this has stop them being open but now I'm getting loads of emails from staff telling me they "Cant open the file!"

So here's what i was wondering. without editing the source code or anything, does excel have the option to add a message on open?
for example instead of the standard please insert password the message "This document is not accessible, to view this data please open master document and choose View Raw Data!"

so the staff who all have emails telling them to do this are reminded.

any ideas?

thanks

Tony

Excel Facts

Waterfall charts in Excel?
Office 365 customers have access to Waterfall charts since late 2016. They were added to Excel 2019.
I can think of a few ways you might consider going about this.

1. To use a Workbook open event (which runs upon the file opening) that says what you want in a Message box. The issue with this, is if they do not enable Macros/VBA this will not run, so they would bypass that.

2. To hide/password protect all the data sheets, and instead have a cover sheet that says what you want. And the only way to unhide the data is to run a VBA procedure that first asks for a password.

Upvote 0
Thanks Joe,

You gave me a fantastic idea,
What i did was Hide all the work sheets and protect workbook so they can't be unhidden,
Then on the Welcome sheet I added a message saying If You wish to view raw data please clivk here! and a button with a macro that opens the master document and closes the raw data, it works fantastically.

Thanks for you help would not have thought if it without your idea.

Thanks

Tony

Upvote 0
You are welcome.
Glad you got it working well!
:)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
visheshkotha

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back