Can you change what pops up when you mouse-over a chart point?

TomCon

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
  2. Mobile
When you mouse over a chart point, the X and Y values pop up. Can you make it so something else pops up?

Specifically for me, i have an X-Y scatterchart and there is a column next to the X and Y columns that contains a date. The date column is NOT one of the X-Y columns, the chart is not a plot of some data against time. But, if you mouse over a point, what i'd like to pop up is the value from the date column in the same row as that X-Y pair comes from. Is that possible? If so, how do i do it?

Thanks much!

Excel Facts

Repeat Last Command
Pressing F4 adds dollar signs when editing a formula. When not editing, F4 repeats last command.
what i'd like to pop up is the value from the date column in the same row as that X-Y pair comes from
Sorry, not something that I can help with, but I do see a bit of an issue if the same X-Y pair occurred on two (or 100) different rows. Just something that you may (depending on your data) need to consider & clarify for any helpers contributing to your thread?

Upvote 0
Thanks for pointing that out. If it occurred, then the points for >1 XY pair would be "the same", i.e. on top of each other. When series' have points on top of each other (say each series was a different color), the "the last one wins" and is the displayed color, and what pops up with mouseover. That would be fine with me. For my purposes, i don't care which date for which of the XY pairs that are on top of each other, pops up. It would be one limitation, inability to drill down to the others. I'd have to accept it as a limitation. But overall i still have my question, as it would serve for the vast majority of points, and i can live with the ambiguity for those that are coincident. Thanks for pointing this out.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Et_Cetera

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back