Can you draw line but 2nd co-ords always centred?

tezza

Office Version
  1. 2016
  2. 2010
Platform
  1. Windows
  2. Web
Hi all

I'm trying to figure out line drawing, I don't really mind how it's done, eg: grid making, graph plotting, but I can't get it done a specific way.

The data is simple, it's 2 sets of xy co-ords (of your choice, but it needs to change when the co-ords move).

What I need is for the 2nd xy co-ords to always be the centre fixed point whilst the 1st xy co-ords is the moveable point, as I need to see which direction something needs to go (both sets of data will be changed but 2nd point should always show as centred).

Ideally this would be something I can do transparent % on top of an image (ie: map) but that's not important.

Scatter graph doesn't quite manage this, I've tried many ways.

If the 2nd fixed point is not possible and another way has to be done the 0,0 should be top left.

Regards
Tez

Excel Facts

How to create a cell-sized chart?
Tiny charts, called Sparklines, were added to Excel 2010. Look for Sparklines on the Insert tab.
you are referencing 2 points on a 2 dimensional plane if they are 3,1 and 15,16 then that is what they are do you want to feed in those and draw a straight line between them ?

Upvote 0
Yes, but 15,16 will then be the fixed centre point and 3,1 will be the starting point, which will show the direction from point 1 to point 2 where 0,0 is at top left position.

Upvote 0
what do you mean 15,16 will be a centre point

do you want the whole area to go from 0,0 to 31,31 ?

Upvote 0
The actual whole area is something like 1400,1400 but all that is relevant is the start point and the end point, I just need to show the direction it travels to get from point 1 to point 2 in the form of a line. point 2 could be 10,10 and point 1 could be 1300,29 or 1,1, in which case the direction for these two would be different.

Upvote 0
I'm toying with actually using degrees now as really can't work out the line drawing thing so here's an example

1,1 to 2,2 = 45 degrees

2,2 to 1,1 = 225 degrees (or the negative equivalent would be preferred)

So if this is easier to achieve then please advise, this will be acceptable for now.

Upvote 0
so you want your FIRST point to be plotted, and a line drawn from there to your second point - I will look at it later today.

Upvote 0
snowhail
using this data and a custom chart
which was bar and line
I clicked on the bars
and went chart, chart type, scatter
and got a point at 5,7
a point at 29,33
and a line from 7 to 33 on the x axis
which joins the two points

<tbody>
</tbody>

Upvote 0
Sorry I don't follow what you mean.

Upvote 0
PM me with your Email and I will send you the sheet.

Using this data I made a chart which has the start and end points on it, with a line joining them.

Start with a custom bar and line 2 axis chart and change the bar chart to a scatter chart.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cdnMech

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back