Can you help me - I want to go to the next row down starting in column E

LordSnow548

Banned user
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi,

Please bear with me on this, im new to Excel.

When i get to the end a row of data say Col X row 6 i want to press return and go to Col E Row 7 so that data entry can then be completed again. A little bit like pressing return in MS word and starting a new line etc.

Is there a way this can be done? Im sorry i cant provide any examples as im such a newbie at this ive searched the internet but im clueless.

Thanks in advance.

Excel Facts

Move date out one month or year
Use =EDATE(A2,1) for one month later. Use EDATE(A2,12) for one year later.
Excel will either go to the next column or the next row, but it won't return to the middle of the next row.

What you want can be done with a macro, but you would have to install the macro to your file and then make sure your security settings will allow macros to run. The macro is not complicated but may be challenging for a newbie. If you're interested I can help.

Upvote 0
Excel will either go to the next column or the next row, but it won't return to the middle of the next row.

What you want can be done with a macro, but you would have to install the macro to your file and then make sure your security settings will allow macros to run. The macro is not complicated but may be challenging for a newbie. If you're interested I can help.

Hi,

Thanks for your reply, i would be very greatful for any help you could offer and im very much eager to learn, iv had my version of excel checked and im told that macros are able to run within it.

Upvote 0
Question: For any cell before Column X, when you press the Enter Key, which cell becomes active, the cell to the right of the cell you were in or the cell under it?

Upvote 0
Question: For any cell before Column X, when you press the Enter Key, which cell becomes active, the cell to the right of the cell you were in or the cell under it?

Hi, The cell to the right of it becomes active as i managed to google how to change it from down to go right.

Thanks

Upvote 0
Okay, good. The following event code (not macro) will trap the active cell between (and including) Columns E through Column X...
VBA Code:
Private Sub Worksheet_SelectionChange(ByVal Target As Range)
  If Target.CountLarge > 1 Then Exit Sub
  If Target.Column > 24 Then Cells(Target.Row + 1, "E").Select
End Sub

HOW TO INSTALL Event Code
------------------------------------
If you are new to event code procedures, they are easy to install. To install it, right-click the name tab at the bottom of the worksheet that is to have the functionality to be provided by the event code and select "View Code" from the popup menu that appears. This will open up the code window for that worksheet. Copy/Paste the event code into that code window. That's it... the code will now operate automatically when its particular event procedure is raised by an action you take on the worksheet itself. Note... if you are using XL2007 or above, make sure you save your file as an "Excel Macro-Enabled Workbook (*.xlsm) and answer the "do you want to enable macros" question as "yes" or "OK" (depending on the button label for your version of Excel) the next time you open your workbook.

Upvote 0
Okay, good. The following event code (not macro) will trap the active cell between (and including) Columns E through Column X...
VBA Code:
Private Sub Worksheet_SelectionChange(ByVal Target As Range)
  If Target.CountLarge > 1 Then Exit Sub
  If Target.Column > 24 Then Cells(Target.Row + 1, "E").Select
End Sub

HOW TO INSTALL Event Code
------------------------------------
If you are new to event code procedures, they are easy to install. To install it, right-click the name tab at the bottom of the worksheet that is to have the functionality to be provided by the event code and select "View Code" from the popup menu that appears. This will open up the code window for that worksheet. Copy/Paste the event code into that code window. That's it... the code will now operate automatically when its particular event procedure is raised by an action you take on the worksheet itself. Note... if you are using XL2007 or above, make sure you save your file as an "Excel Macro-Enabled Workbook (*.xlsm) and answer the "do you want to enable macros" question as "yes" or "OK" (depending on the button label for your version of Excel) the next time you open your workbook.

THANK YOU! This has worked a dream, you have no idea how much this has helped with my project. Thank you again.

Upvote 0
Just FTR "macro" is colloquially understood to mean any VBA code.
I am aware of that, but you are talking to someone with a highly "technical" mind (graduated college as a Math Major, worked 32+ years as a Civil Engineer)?and, while I am not one, has tendencies toward being Obsessive-Compulsive?. Given that background and coupled with the fact that macros and event code are installed in different types of code modules, I find it hard not to point out the difference. I meant no disrespect when I made my statement... I am just simply trapped with who I am and, after 70++ years on this earth, find it hard to change.?

Upvote 0
I am aware of that, but you are talking to someone with a highly "technical" mind (graduated college as a Math Major, worked 32+ years as a Civil Engineer)?and, while I am not one, has tendencies toward being Obsessive-Compulsive?. Given that background and coupled with the fact that macros and event code are installed in different types of code modules, I find it hard not to point out the difference. I meant no disrespect when I made my statement... I am just simply trapped with who I am and, after 70++ years on this earth, find it hard to change.?
I can sympathize with your plight. :)I graduated as a Computer Science major and have worked 41 years as a software engineer and software development manager. My first experience with anything called macros was writing them for IBM 360 Assembly Language ?. I do appreciate a concern for precision in language. It bugs me when people say "tab" when they mean "worksheet" :)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gleisner2

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back