Can you help me with a formula

biggynbp

Office Version
  1. 2019
Platform
  1. Windows
I am trying to create a budget spreadsheet and running into some trouble with this concept. I have my budget set, I also have a column where i enter my payments. The payements are subtracted from the budget number which in turn gives me an "amount due." I also have another cell where i type "paid" and that zero's out the amount due cell. I am having trouble connecting the two formulas; calculating the amount due and at the same time entering 0 if it is paid in full

1672889585137.png
1672889667448.png

any suggestions to get Column D to populate a running balance and the ability to zero out if i enter paid in Column E?

Excel Facts

Format cells as currency
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+4 to format cells as currency. (Shift 4 is the $ sign).
I am not sure your question is clear. Doesn't the formula you posted do what you want?
Maybe it would be better to walk us through an actual example, step-by-step, based on the sample data you posted, explaining exactly what SHOULD happen (be returned) and why.

By the way, in your formula, "0" will return the TEXT value 0, not the numeric value. If these values are being used in other calculations, it could cause errors, as some mathematical functions will not work on text values. Double-quotes around characters indicate text entries. Remove them from your formula, i.e.
Excel Formula:
=IF(E11="paid",0,B11)

Upvote 0
Thank you for your reply.....If i don't use the quotes then the field is filled with a "-". What I am hoping to do, in addition to using that formula that puts a 0 in the amount due column is: when i enter a value in the actual column it will subtract it from the expected column and give the balance remaining in the amount due column. taking a look at the pics i posted you will see in the "rent row" when i entered paid in the "status" column the amount due column populated 0. When i entered 60 into the actual column, i wanted it to subtract 60 from 400 (the value in the expected column) and change the value in the amount due column to 340. If possible i want the amount due to be able do both things. Change when i enter a value into the actual column and change to 0 when i enter paid into the status
column. Hope that makes some more sense.

1672927423273.png

Upvote 0
OK, I think you just need to make one very minor change to your formula:
Rich (BB code):
=IF(E11="paid",0,B11-C11)

Note: If you are seeing "-" in cells where the formula is returning 0, that is due to the fact that you have a Custom format on the cell!
Just change the Format of that column to your desired Number format, and it will resolve that issue for you.

Upvote 0
Solution
OK, I think you just need to make one very minor change to your formula:
Rich (BB code):
=IF(E11="paid",0,B11-C11)

Note: If you are seeing "-" in cells where the formula is returning 0, that is due to the fact that you have a Custom format on the cell!
Just change the Format of that column to your desired Number format, and it will resolve that issue for you.

Just on the zero showing, is this also not a feature that can be selected

File>Options>Advanced, under section "Display options for this worksheet" (below) highlighted in yellow

1672930095173.png

Upvote 0
Just on the zero showing, is this also not a feature that can be selected

File>Options>Advanced, under section "Display options for this worksheet" (below) highlighted in yellow

View attachment 82131
Good point. It could either be that or a Custom Format.

Upvote 0
Thank yo guys from the bottom of my heart.....This is awesome!!

Upvote 0
You are welcome.
So does my formula in post 4 do exactly what you need?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ava19

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back