Can you merge two spreadsheets?

LukeJ

I have 13 spreadsheets from all the local councils in my area and i need to merge all the information into one big database. I can't seem to find out how to do this. Plus some of the headings are slightly different or under different letters, is there anyway around this?

Excel Facts

Wildcard in VLOOKUP
Use =VLOOKUP("Apple*" to find apple, Apple, or applesauce
Welcome to the Board, Luke -- well, if either the sheets were in the same structure or if the column headings were identical from sheet to sheet, it would be easier. Any chance of that happening?

Upvote 0
Hi:

Welcome to the board!!

It might help to show some examples of your data since you describe "some of the headings are slightly different or...

You can use the Colo utility to do this which is located at the bottom of this message box.

plettieri

Upvote 0
Welcome to the Board Luke!

It might make things a bit easier if you looked at the bottom of the page for the link to Colo's HTML maker, so that you can post some representative shots of what you're working with.

Let everyone take it from there!

Smitty

Upvote 0
Hi,
I found a program to merge the spreadsheets and it seems to have worked ok, but now i have a spreadsheet with 6500 entries and a lot of duplicates. I would like to be able to highlight the duplicates so that i can look at them before i delete one. This is because say if there was a company in Ashford but it appears in the Ashford and Canterbury database then i need to delete the Canterbury entry as it is not in their borough

Upvote 0
Ok ok, the merge didnt work, i've got 13 files each with about 2000 entries on the first spreadsheet in each workbook. Now i tried to use ASAP utilities to combine them all but i only got 6500 entries once they were combined. I have managed to get them all under the same headings so no problem there. I just need to take the first sheet from 13 workbooks and comebine them all into one big spreadsheet.

Upvote 0
When you say combine, do you mean --

A] Stack the data from sheet2 below sheet1, sheet3 below sheet2, etc or
B] Add cell A1 from each sheet 1-13 into cell A1 on the summary sheet.

Upvote 0
i mean just take all the data from sheet 1 in every workbook and stick all of it onto one big sheet. so say i have 13 workbooks with 2000 entries then once they were together i would have one sheet with 26,000 entries

Upvote 0
Hi:

If it is just a one time deal....cut and paste and be done with it....then perform the sorting / filtering aspect of the task....

plettieri

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mdusw

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back