Cannot break link

TinaP

I have a workbook that is showing a link to a temporary file which is no longer there. The link should not exist and was created automatically by MS when the file was emailed. I think.

I deleted all of the references to the temporary file from the Name Manager (there were five), but the link message still came up when I opened the file. I've checked the formulas in all of the worksheets, including those hidden. I've also checked all of the Conditional Formatting. There are no references to external files in the macros.

I cannot break the link in the Edit Links dialog box, which would be fine, since there shouldn't be any links anyway. Even if it broke something, I could recreate it with little difficulty.

Any ideas?

Excel Facts

Which lookup functions find a value equal or greater than the lookup value?
MATCH uses -1 to find larger value (lookup table must be sorted ZA). XLOOKUP uses 1 to find values greater and does not need to be sorted.
Perhaps try doing a Find for "[" on the whole Workbook (LookIn: Formulas)
this 'should' show you any references to another workbook.
e.g. ='[Book1.xls]Sheet1'!A1

Also, are there any charts? Sometimes links can hide in the series references as well.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks for responding. I had reached my frustration threshold and had to go for a walk.

No chart. And no brackets.

Upvote 0
Thanks for responding. I had reached my frustration threshold and had to go for a walk.

No chart. And no brackets.

I am somewhat stumped too.
Perhaps copying all of the sheets to a new workbook might 'trick' Excel into realizing there are no links anymore? i.e. click the first tab and SHIFT+click the last tab, right click on any tab and choose Move/Copy, click the Copy check box and in the drop-down on the top choose New Workbook.
I am wondering if there is some strange internal index within Excel that is still showing a reference.

Kinda reaching for straws at this point.

Upvote 0
I'm reaching for straws as well. I'm considering either treating it as a corrupted workbook and copying all sheets to another workbook as you suggested or just checking 'Don't display the alert and don't update automatic links' under the Startup Prompt settings.

It's not really causing any problems, just annoying me.

Upvote 0
It sounds like you've checked everywhere links are hidden.

-Name Manager
-Formulas
-Chart Series formulas
-Conditional Formats

There's also Data Validation I suppose, but that's a stretch.

Instead of choosing the option to Break Link, what happens when you try to redirect the link back to the file itself? This is the usual way I use to kill phantom links, and if this errors it means there's something else in the file using the link (as in it's not really phantom)

Upvote 0
SUCCESS!!!

I redirected the link back to the file and the link disappeared. I haven't noticed any problems thus far, so I'm declaring this problem solved.

Thanks for all the help.

Upvote 0
Just an fyi....I've trying to break a links for two hours: removed named ranges, validation, everything - still persisted. But doing your suggestion WORKED!!!!

Thanks....and this thread is five plus years old!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DW Draft

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back