Cannot complete this task with available resources

simonphillips

Hi Everyone,

I am getting what seems (from my limited reserach) to be a fairly generic memory limitation with Excel. The error message on opening the file reads: Excel cannot complete this task witht he available resources. Choose less data or close the applications.

After I open the file (hit OK on three occasions for each of the error messages), I have a number of #REF! errors within cells that contain references to external workbooks. I can only remove these errors by then also opening the exterbal workbooks (total of 2).

I then get the following message when I attempt to save the original file that no longer has the #REF! errors: Unable to save external link values

I am confident that my problem has been answered somewhere, but after searching the message archive I can only find Andrew Poulsom's reference to the following website http://www.decisionmodels.com/memlimitsc.htm (source message sent on 18 Sept 08 at 7:19pm)

I have been through the following steps in the referenced site:
1) reduced unnecessary space on spreadsheets (use control end and then delete blank rows/columns)
2) removed formulas by doing a paste values
3) replaced commonly used formulas with defined names
4) used the INFO("memused") function to determine that 56,642,944 bytes (?) are in use

The file I am opening has 14 worksheets and takes up 24 Mb on the disk.

To provide some sense of the remaining formulas across the worksheets the worst case would be 2800 rows with one column full of lookups and another 5 columns with formulas that only reference internal to the workbook.

One of the exterally refernced sheets has 23819 rows, but no more than a dozen formulas max and takes up 3.7Mb on the disk.

The second exterally refernced sheets has 29932 rows, but no more than a 40 formulas max and takes up 24Mb on the disk.

I am working with Excel 2003 SP3 on a dual Centrino CPU (2.6Ghz) and 4Gb of ram.

I would welcome any support/ideas/references.

TIA

Simon

Excel Facts

Enter current date or time
Ctrl+: enters current time. Ctrl+; enters current date. Use Ctrl+: Ctrl+; Enter for current date & time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nzskater

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back