Cannot edit a Macro

Ben C

Hi All,

When I list my macros using alt+F8 the edit option is no longer available, any ideas what I have done?

Many Thanks

Regards

Ben

Ben,

Let me try to explain a little more to see if we can nail this down.

You say:
If I check the Tools protection option it shows nothing as having a password only the option to set one.
This has nothing to do with your macros. Tools>Protection is for the Workbook, and is not an option in the Visual Basic window.

So for now, forget about the "workbook" itself. Concentrate on the Visual Basic window for thiis workbook.

As John,Tina, and I are trying to say:
Your macros have been password protected at the VBA project level.
You will need the password to unlock the project.

With your workbook open, and the Visual Basic window open, if you click on your Project from the VB window, you say:
I get the message "Project Locked" at the top of an error box with "Project is unviewable"
This is telling us that your Project has been password protected by someone and this is why you cannot edit the macro.

The macros are ones I have written and have been using with this workbook for about 18 months.

1. Is it possible sombody else been in the Project and applied protection?
2. Could it be that you might have protected it and forgot that you did it?

And after reading your post from the bigining again, I would ask, What version are you running. Your messege box gives you the options of "OK" and "HELP"

My comments are based on Excell 2003. Where I get a slightly different message box when a project is protected. I get the options of, entering the Password, and two buttons "OK and "Cancel".

I don't know if that makes a difference. May depend on the version.

Harry

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

What did Pito Salas invent?
Pito Salas, working for Lotus, popularized what would become to be pivot tables. It was released as Lotus Improv in 1989.
Harry asked the question I wanted to ask.

If you are using Excel 2007, how is your workbook saved? As a 2003 file or 2007?

Upvote 0
Hi,

I am using 2003

I have not knowingly locked the macros I didn't know that you could.

If they are locked which the editer suggests then where do you enter a password / unlock it please? If I have a look at this then maybe it will jog a memory as to somthing I may have done.

Nobody has had access to the file but me.

Regards

Ben

Upvote 0
Harry has already answered as to where you enter a password.
My comments are based on Excell 2003. Where I get a slightly different message box when a project is protected. I get the options of, entering the Password, and two buttons "OK and "Cancel".
Of course this is in the VBA editor, not the workbook in the Excel window.
You should get a prompt to enter a password when you click on the plus sign for that workbook.
I have 2000 on this PC and get the same password prompt field and OK or Cancel buttons.

Upvote 0
In the VB window

If it is lock, when you Left click on the + sign (of your project) or double Left Click on the Name, you should get a message box titled VBAProject Password with an area to type in the Password and two buttons "OK" & "CANCEL" > > Do you get this message box.

Another thing to try is Right click on the Project and choose VBAProject Properties and let us know what you get.

Harry

Upvote 0
Hi,
If I Left click on the + sign, I do NOT get the message box titled VBAProject Password with an area to type in the Password

If I right click on the Project and choose VBAProject Properties I get "Project locked" & "Project is unviewable"

Ben

Upvote 0
Umm

Using 2003.....When my project is locked I get the described message box with an area for input of password.

You seem to be getting something else.

You've stumped me. Maybe somebody else knows the answer, Sorry on my part.

Harry

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
juliecooper255

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back